Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Older Hobart Slicer, need some help

FockerFocker Posts: 1,506
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum

Talked to a teacher who cleaned up and is selling a Hobart #512 12" slicer from his school.  Comes with an extra blade and stainless tray.  He said one of the blades has a small nick, other is new.  Also states both slide and depth adjustment are smooth.  This model does not have a fixed sharpener but I have found them available for $120 online.  Local business will sharpen each blade for $12, says the older blades are better steel and depending on the size of the nick, will come out.  Blades alone run about $300. 

Only negative is he said there is a slight rubbing of the guard on the blade that won't effect the cutting edge or performance. 

Talked to him about the sharpening issue that he was completely honest about, and negotiated price down to $350.   

Several questions for you guys before I head out tonight to look at it.....

Is it worth it?

Do I need the attached sharpener?  Heard they are not the best anyways.  This won't be commercially used, would it be best to just take the blades annually to my sharpener if they hold an edge well?

Can I run it safely without the guard if the rubbing is a problem?

What to look for when purchasing these older machines?

Plan to take a block of cheddar and tools out to put it through it's paces and break it down.

Thanks in advance for your input.

@billyray, would you be able to post pics of your #1612?  Think they are similar, the #1612 is newer.  Little info out there on these things.  Found that a #412 Hobart is from the 1940s. 

Brandon
Quad Cities

Comments