Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter

Legs up or down when doing a pizza?
Pure Michigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE

Comments

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Either can work depending on your set up.  I go legs up and then set the grid on the platesetter and the stone on the grid.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    BGE corp recommends legs up to protect the gasket - there was a memo to that effect.
    Your gasket will fry anyway at some point. Either works fine, I've always gone legs down, but I've been doing it since before the memo came out. And I never got the memo, anyway.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Gasket will fail regardless. Legs down works better because the PS is a more stable table for the ceramic feet to provide air for the pizza stone. If doing more than 1 or 2 pizzas, only having the grate as a spacer under the stone makes for burned crust if you heat soak the stone. Second way just requires another item in the egg (grate) for no reason (gasket will fail anyway). My $.02
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I do both, at different times of course. Medium egg. 
    Legs down with the stone on the setter if doing two or more pies. I cook at 500 so it is not too hot. The setter and the stone heated together hold the heat (seems to me) and will do pies one after the other with good results. Maybe my cheap thin stone that needs the thermal mass of the setter to hold temp. 

If doing one pie, I usually use setter legs up, Grill dome extender straddles the setter and grid level and stone are 1" above the felt line. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I always go legs up.  As Griff said, your gasket will fry no matter what.  I put Rutland's on mine a couple years ago and haven't had a problem since.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Chubbs
    BOWHUNR said:
    I always go legs up.  As Griff said, your gasket will fry no matter what.  I put Rutland's on mine a couple years ago and haven't had a problem since.

Mike
    Did you put Rutland on dome or base?
  • nolaegghead
    You shouldn't put it on the dome - glass fibers could fall into your food.
    Legs down.  Saw a Dr. BBQ video on the mothership site three years ago (or maybe it was on the included DVD), and he said legs down.  I've never gotten a memo from BGE since telling me otherwise.  Here is my pizza setup that I have luck with.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Chubbs

I have heard dont use one period for that reason but a lot seem to do it. I am tired of changing gaskets and I will keep one on there after my wife dropped the dome when I was bare backing (no gasket... perverts).
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Chubbs said:

I have heard dont use one period for that reason but a lot seem to do it. I am tired of changing gaskets and I will keep one on there after my wife dropped the dome when I was bare backing (no gasket... perverts).
    Sheesh! Hopefully you didn't pinch anything in the dome collapse. Egging commando can be dangerous!
  • nolaegghead
    Chubbs said:

You only need the gasket on one side because it's twice as thick as the stock gasket and you don't want to screw around too much with the geometry of the hinge.  So people put one gasket on the base.  That way, as the gasket inevitably falls apart, chunks and fibers don't fall into your dinner.
    Chubbs said:

Sheesh! Hopefully you didn't pinch anything in the dome collapse. Egging commando can be dangerous!
    That one truly made me LOL.  That would hurt.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • BOWHUNR
    Chubbs said:
    BOWHUNR said:

Mike
    Did you put Rutland on dome or base?
    I put mine on the base and other than some discoloring from smoking, none of my four show wear even after several 1000*+ cleaning burns, pizza's, etc.

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • Chubbs
    Mike, what did you do for Klondike bar?
  • BOWHUNR
    Trust me, you don't wanna know!  :\">

Omaha, NE
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Rutland for the mini coming today. As to fibers, I had to work up in the attic past few weeks moving and fixing some insulation.even with a respirator I've ingested more fibers than I could ever possibly get from drifting flakes off a Rutland.
    Seattle, WA
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    BGE corp recommends legs up to protect the gasket - there was a memo to that effect.

Now you tell me! Does it really protect the gasket?
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Zick said:

Now you tell me! Does it really protect the gasket?
    I did not see the memo, but it does make sense. Legs up the flame and heat from the lump in a high heat egg will be deflected by the setter, wrap around it taking the shortest route to the top vent. Legs down setter, the flames and heat will deflect around the setter right at gasket level, making the dome/base junction one of the hottest spots in the egg. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2013
    otter said:
    Best bet is to get some firebricks or regular clay bricks and half them across. Then stand your platesetter on the bricks on the fire ring. You can get pices of square tubular steel or anything that will take the heat. Get's the pizza higher in the dome in better convection and doesn't burn the gasket. Or even better is the adjustable rig from CGS

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I use either the Lodge CI pizza pan or the BGE perforated pizza pan instead of a stone.  I always go legs up with these pans.  Has nothing to do with the gasket.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I go legs down with BGE feet like some others. I don't cook them any higher than 550. I have never had a gasket issue, 9 years.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Gasket,smasket.Cook neckid,IF you are lucky enough to have a dome and base that mesh,otherwise use a Rutland on the base only.As my friend stike used to say "Relax,it is just a grill!" I prefer no plate setter at all after 3 of em broke.Grill on fire ring,pizza stone as a deflector,spacers of choice,another grill/grid whatever,pizza stone on top of that.Cook whatever temp suits you.I prefer 550.
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    edited January 2013
     Legs down for me with . The egg feet and pizza stone.

Guess I'm gonna die though. My Rutland is on the dome. No chance of food touching it when putting it on the grill.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    fairchase said:

Guess I'm gonna die though. My Rutland is on the dome. No chance of food touching it when putting it on the grill.

I don't think I would worry about ingesting a trivial amount of glass fibers if your Rutland gasket is on the dome. People ingest all kinds of things without any damage done their innards.

Inhaling them may be different, but usually injury from inhalation involves occupational exposure - much more glass fiber, for longer periods of time, over many years.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I guess we all get the urge for a little Pica from time to time....
  • nolaegghead
    fairchase said:

Well, we all die eventually.  Just make sure your will is updated and all your affairs are in order.  ;)

fairchase said:

We'll go out in a blaze of glory.  Mine are on the dome as well. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    otter said:

Damn I'd love to jump on this but I don't want to get moderated.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BOWHUNR
    henapple said:
    Damn I'd love to jump on this but I don't want to get moderated.
    I know me too.  All I could think about was the apple pie scene from American Pie when I read it.

Mike

Omaha, NE