Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I think I like this turbo thing

lilwootylilwooty Posts: 205
I have always done pork butts low and slow but since I joined this forum I have heard about the turbo method, so I thought I would give it a try. 6.6 lb pork butt at 350 indirect on my XL. I have hesitated before since some have said the bark is not as good on a turbo butt. I did not find that to be the case at all. After about 6 1/2 hrs the butt was at 200 internal. Nice bark and tasty too! Rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic, chile powder and cumin. Made pork carnitas that were outstanding. I'm a believer!

Living Large and XL

image.jpg 282.5K
image.jpg 308.2K
image.jpg 254.3K
image.jpg 250.3K
·

Comments

• mimaulermimauler Posts: 119
    I agree I've been doing that a lot lately and have noticed no difference in taste at all.  350 is easier to keep anyways.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,218
    Awesome. I love turbo-ing now. You can sleep in and still get BBQ for an early dinner on a weekend.
    ·
  • I turbo'd ribs last night and my SWMBO said they were the best yet.  It took only 2 hrs.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,808
    Welcome to the club. Next Turbo Ribs, just as good.....
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,292

Awesome. I love turbo-ing now. You can sleep in and still get BBQ for an early dinner on a weekend.
    This is the key. No stoker, no alarms all night, just get it done during the day. Makes for a BBQ meal with the ease of a slow cooker. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,459
    So is it more like 1 hour per pound at 350* instead of 1 1/2 hours per pound at 250*?  Does bone in or boneless make a difference? 
    Could it potentially work that if I loaded and setup the Egg on Friday night, woke up Sat. at 7am to light and rub an 8# bone in Butt, put it on at 8am at 350*, pull it around 4pm for an hour rest FTC, I could be eating by 5pm? 
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,116
    edited January 2013
    You got it. Remember the time is only a guide line. All the ones I've cook this way fall into the 1 hour a lb. catergory, but I still cook to temp. 195-205 check for doneness with a probe. Bone in or boneless doesn't make a difference IMO.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
    Oh yea, I'm cooking to temp.  I usually go 190-195 depending on how the bone wiggles.  Just seeing if 1 hour per pound is what you all have been averaging.
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,414
    Another little trick for the turbo butt is if you cook the boneless is to finish cutting them in half where the bone was instead of tying them up. Leaves you with lots of bark and flavor. Queen of the Butts! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,808
    edited January 2013
    500 said:
    So is it more like 1 hour per pound at 350* instead of 1 1/2 hours per pound at 250*?  Does bone in or boneless make a difference? 
    Could it potentially work that if I loaded and setup the Egg on Friday night, woke up Sat. at 7am to light and rub an 8# bone in Butt, put it on at 8am at 350*, pull it around 4pm for an hour rest FTC, I could be eating by 5pm? 
    IMO: Bone-in is ALWAYS better than boneless...... In anything....
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
    I agree.
    Everything is sweeter, closer to the bone.

I'm cooking to temp.  I usually go 190-195 depending on how the bone wiggles.  Just seeing if 1 hour per pound is what you all have been averaging.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,241
    Queen of the Butts!....I thought that was Kim Khardasian.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,473
    badoinnnnngggg!

·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,414
    Austin egghead dubbed me "Queen of the Butts" after I cooked 48 this fall. I needed to cook turbo style. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,218
    Next time you have a party, call it "Her Majesty's Royal Rumpus"
    ·