Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cut at curing bacon

Options
2»

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Focker said:
    That's a nice slicer,  billyray.  I used to have a Hobart slicer, wish I kept it. 

VI - some of the most coveted bellies have more fat than average.  Not a bad thing - you want fat that renders at a lower temp.

Which model did you have nola?  Found a 12" Model #512 with two blades and stainless tray for $450.  What do you think?  Guy removed, cleaned, and lubricated all moving parts.

Been searching for a Hobart, Globe, Berkel for awhile.   

I don't know what model I used to have....Me and a friend cleared out an old grocery/deli that had been closed for years and the slicer was one of the spoils.  We cleaned it up and sold it - I wasn't into charcuterie back then (this was 15 years ago).

Now I have the Chef's Choice 615.

Thanks.

If I don't find a good old one, I will probably go with the Chef's Choice 615.  How do you like it?  Pretty easy to clean?

@Eggcelsior,  thanks as well.

Parts still obtainable on these older Hobarts?  Is the 512 a decent model?  What are the differences between this and the 1612?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Focker I'll take a pic tomorrow. I just got back home and will unload it in the morning.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Oh no you di int.  It's ON!
    Options
    Focker said:
    billyray said:
    Village Idiot Let me know how it works out for you. Since I've been smoking for 8 to 10 hours, it means I would need to fill it 3 times to do the same smoke. I was looking at the same slicer you got, but I came across a restaurant that was closing and picked up a Hobart 1612 12" slicer. It's older, but built like a tank, in great shape and runs well. It's way more than I need , but for $300, I couldn't pass it up. I'll post some pics with my next batch of bacon.
    Would love to see some pics.  Have a chance to get a nice Model #512 Hobart for $450.  May be able to talk him down to $400.  Wondering if this is a decent deal?
    I'd go for it. The best I've seen on that is $500-800 bucks. I have been looking for a while and I hope to get something similar next week.
    Thanks!  Gonna give this guy a call.  Is the 512 a decent model?  Do you know when it was manufactured?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Focker said:
    billyray said:
    Village Idiot Let me know how it works out for you. Since I've been smoking for 8 to 10 hours, it means I would need to fill it 3 times to do the same smoke. I was looking at the same slicer you got, but I came across a restaurant that was closing and picked up a Hobart 1612 12" slicer. It's older, but built like a tank, in great shape and runs well. It's way more than I need , but for $300, I couldn't pass it up. I'll post some pics with my next batch of bacon.
    Would love to see some pics.  Have a chance to get a nice Model #512 Hobart for $450.  May be able to talk him down to $400.  Wondering if this is a decent deal?
    I'd go for it. The best I've seen on that is $500-800 bucks. I have been looking for a while and I hope to get something similar next week.

Thanks also.

Gonna give this guy a call.  Have any idea when this was manufactured?  Is the 512 a decent model?  Not sure what the differences are between that and the 1612?

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Focker said:
    billyray said:

Thanks as well.

Do you know when this model was manufactured?  Is the 512 decent?  Not sure on differences between that and the 1612?  Parts still obtainable for these machines?

Brandon
    Quad Cities