Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoking Bacon

fruitguy
fruitguy Posts: 303
Is there a temperature that I need to be above?  It is quite cold here in the winter.  Can I be below freezing or must I stay above?  If I must stay above, how much?

Thanks,
James

Comments

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I cold smoked some bacon the other weekend with the Amazen smoker.  It was about 20 degrees out.  I added a 60 watt light bulb to the egg about an hour before the cook and left it on for the duration.  It kept the inside of the egg at around 50 to 60 degrees.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    MikeP624 said:
    I cold smoked some bacon the other weekend with the Amazen smoker.  It was about 20 degrees out.  I added a 60 watt light bulb to the egg about an hour before the cook and left it on for the duration.  It kept the inside of the egg at around 50 to 60 degrees.
    Can you explain ths?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Place the AMS unit on the charcoal grate down in the firebox with all charcoal removed. Belly on grate. The AMS unit seems to hold around 60 degrees +/-
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

Chubbs said:
    Can you explain ths?
    I took an old lamp i had and took the base off of it.  So basically it was just the light socket.  I placed in on the lowest level of my AR rig.  The bacon sat on the top level.  The amazen smoker was all the way at the bottom.  I turned the light on.  A 60 watt bulb should produce enough heat to warm the egg to above freezing.  I am sure you could use a 100 watt bulb too.  Because my egg was sitting outside in below freezing temps for a few days i put the light in an hour early so it had time to warm up the ceramics.