Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Amarillo Texas

I'm in Amarillo for the first time tonight. Any suggestions of a good place to eat?

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,676
    I've heard boot hill saloon is good.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited January 2013
    Whatever you do, don't fall for the Big Texan Steak Challenge.  If you eat their 72 oz. sirloin, a baked potato, and salad within 1 hour, it's free.  If you don't, it's $50.  I've read only 10% succeed.

I'd ask a local where the best Tex-Mex restaurant is in town.

(For fun, go west of town on I-40 to see the Cadillac Ranch.  It's a line of old Cadillacs, half buried in the sand.  It's famous).  Take a spray can of paint to add your creativity to it.  You can see it from the highway on your left.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• What they don't tell you is how sick you get after the challenge.  There is a King of the Hill episode about it.  I don't particularly enjoy Amarillo, but seem to end up there once every 2 years or so.
  • rholtrholt Posts: 375
    There is also a hole in the wall place called coyote bluff. Super good burgers.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,080
    Isn't there some shrimp and a roll in the challenge as well?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited January 2013
    Griffin said:
    Isn't there some shrimp and a roll in the challenge as well?
    Yep.  Shrimp cocktail and a yeast roll (as if it mattered).  The good news is that when you lose and pay $50, you can take the leftovers home.  Oh, by the way, you have to pay the $50 up front, which will be refunded if you win.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Stockyards Cafe. It is a gresey spoon but the Chicken Fried Steak is the goods..

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• tnbarbqtnbarbq Posts: 248
    Dyers BBQ or Cattle Call BBQ (If it's still there).  Stockyard Cafe is good as well.  Lots of good mexican joints there.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Rudy's BBQ is great/ Get the Extra moist brisket and dig in

• Rudy's has a place in Albuquerque too.  I've eaten there twice and thought it was excellent, but I'm not a brisket expert by any means.
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,351
    We travel to the South West at least once/year and always try to get to a Rudy's. The BBQ is very good especially for a chain restaurant.  There are many places better but they aren't as easy to get to as a typical Rudy's.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,312
    Also I really like the hot sausage there and through in some banana pudding your golden. I used to live in Lubbok can help ya there but not too many trips to Amarillo for me.
  • SigPSigP Posts: 25
    I was born and raised in Amarillo but have not been there in years. Stockyard Cafe is the best food in town if you want good Texas food. Lots of Mexican food and Tex-Mex places. Just ask around.