Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any good BBQ joints in Baton Rouge

billyray
billyray Posts: 1,275
edited January 2013 in Off Topic
My son and I will be going to the Super Bowl. We are staying in Baton Rouge, anyone recommend some good places to eat BBQ or Cajun. Go Niners!!!
Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• Cool!  I used to live in Baton Rouge and loved it.  Tons of good Cajun.  Not too much BBQ IMO.  For Cajun/Creole, we like Louisiana Lagniappe (nice) or Tony's (simple) or Juban's (fancy).  Sammy's is good too.  We look to Best of 225 for recommendations sometimes but there is really so much good food in Louisiana.

http://www.225batonrouge.com/article/20120629/225BATONROUGE01/306229991#axzz2Idh1HVzV

Bay Area is so excited for the Niners! Going to be a good game hopefully

• There is no good BBQ here...pretty much why I got the Egg. Frenchmen can't BBQ without digging a hole in the ground. They just opened a Galatoire's on Perkins. Juban's and Louisiana Lagniappe are very good. Parrains' and Mike Anderson's are pretty good too. Tony's is more of a seafood market with no on-site dining and it's in the heart of the hood. They have crawfish at Sammy's but they are kinda small this early in the season, but they're real tasty. If you're still hungry after all that just gimme a holler and I'll throw some Nutria on the Egg ;)
    Baton Rouge, LA
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118
    Go to Drago's & get some charbroiled oyster in NOLA.
  • For BBQ, google Cajun microwaves, lol (hear they actually work good though).  Yeah we like Mike Anderson's too but heard it used to be better.

Expect people to be asking you for money at Tony's, but also except darn good hole-in-the-wall Cajun.  We like their crawfish, sides, fish, you name it.

Oh yeah, and definitely oysters or French in NOLA

• Don't get me wrong, I love me some Tony's...but I always bring a Glock ;)
    Baton Rouge, LA
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Thanks to everyone for the info.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @billyray - I avoid red stick but I pass through a lot.  Worst traffic ever.  My buddy next door's family has a restaurant there - DiGiulio's, but it's mostly Italian.  He lived in BR, and he's a foodie - I'll ask him if he has any recommendations.
    I live in BR and used to live in NO.  There is no comparison in food between the 2 BR has a few restaurants that are decent by NO standards-Mansur's, Juban's, La Lagniappe but absolutely no BBq .   Try to eat in NO as much as possible as not many cities can compete with it.  
  • @billyray - I avoid red stick but I pass through a lot.  Worst traffic ever.  My buddy next door's family has a restaurant there - DiGiulio's, but it's mostly Italian.  He lived in BR, and he's a foodie - I'll ask him if he has any recommendations.
    Tell him to send word to his Uncle Fred in Mexico that he still owes that plumber $1200.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Not Cajun or BBQ, but go to Willie Mae's Scotch House in the 7th ward. Best fried chicken in the whole world....seriously. Also, the Lima beans and rice are delicious. One of the few restaurants I'd gladly drive 8 hours to, just to eat there. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/57/1349325/restaurant/Seventh-Ward/Willie-Maes-Scotch-House-New-Orleans
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • nolaegghead
    @billyray - I avoid red stick but I pass through a lot.  Worst traffic ever.  My buddy next door's family has a restaurant there - DiGiulio's, but it's mostly Italian.  He lived in BR, and he's a foodie - I'll ask him if he has any recommendations.
    Tell him to send word to his Uncle Fred in Mexico that he still owes that plumber $1200.
    hahah...I'll do that.  We'll see what shakes out of the tree.

• @billyray - I avoid red stick but I pass through a lot.  Worst traffic ever.  My buddy next door's family has a restaurant there - DiGiulio's, but it's mostly Italian.  He lived in BR, and he's a foodie - I'll ask him if he has any recommendations.
    hahah...I'll do that.  We'll see what shakes out of the tree.

Wouldn't hold my breath. But Fred is so goofy it's hard to stay mad at him...tell him after he razzes him about it a little to let him know that I forgive him. The Cabin is a favorite of mine too, and it's on the way. 
    Baton Rouge, LA
  • I'd add Chimes to the list as well for Cajun/Creole. The only bbq I ever tried there was a place called Voodoo, and it was less than spectacular.

Hey, with a dearth of good bbq in a city the size of BR, does anybody see a business opportunity?
  • jigawatt said:
    I'd add Chimes to the list as well for Cajun/Creole. The only bbq I ever tried there was a place called Voodoo, and it was less than spectacular. Hey, with a dearth of good bbq in a city the size of BR, does anybody see a business opportunity?
    Eating at the Chimes' tonight before my annual birthday Willie Nelson concert. The only local bbq I can stomach is Couyon's (no relation), but it isn't worth going out your way for. There have been a few decent small stands set up in the past...but folks here don't seem to appreciate it...too much roux in their system I reckon.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  • bge123
    bge123 Posts: 15

Voodoo BBQ is average at best. 

Pimanyoli's is an off the radar place that has pretty good BBQ.  It doesn't look like their website is working anymore but here is a trip advisor link with what looks to be some pretty good reviews.  I work not too far from there and hit it up for lunch once or twice a month.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g40024-d2351993-r147383856-Pimanyoli_s_Sidewalk_Cafe-Baton_Rouge_Louisiana.html

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Cant believe nobody suggested TJ Ribs. Not great BBQ but I think you will be happy. Their ribs are good and so is the chicken. Chimichangas for an appetizer are some of the best I have had. The also have lots of TV's and lots of cold beer. There is one on Siegen lane and on Acadian Thruway at the Interstate. Price is about mid range.
  • Well now that I think about it, there is one bbq dish that cajuns do very right -- bbq shrimp.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/seafood/bbq-shrimp.html

I think I may do that in an egg sometime. I love irony.
  • nolaegghead
    Cochon_Couyon - I showed my buddy this thread and he laughed...His wife is family with DiGuilios, her half sister and her hubby one of the owners.  I've confirmed that Fred is indeed living in Mexico with some other expatriates.  And, he's very goofy.  What the heck happened where he didn't pay you?!  I forwarded the message via email, so hopefully it finds its way to Fred. :D
  • Cochon_Couyon - I showed my buddy this thread and he laughed...His wife is family with DiGuilios, her half sister and her hubby one of the owners.  I've confirmed that Fred is indeed living in Mexico with some other expatriates.  And, he's very goofy.  What the heck happened where he didn't pay you?!  I forwarded the message via email, so hopefully it finds its way to Fred. :D
    Behold the power of the egghead forum! Opening international communication lines for collection!!
    Well, apparently he spent all the money before I got my last draught :D I'd done several jobs with him before that and everything went like clock work. He just went broke on me I reckon'. He lost his house and, in his defense, he did offer me a deal on his boat...but it was more boat than I needed. Truly not a malicious bone in his body...just a sweet goofy old man finally done in through years of financial  asshattery. But if a check shows up I'll come down and we'll go on a whirlwind bulk specialty meats acquisition extravaganza! ;)
    Baton Rouge, LA
  • wallyjar
    wallyjar Posts: 123
    About one hour from NO East on interstate 10 at exit 59(in MS) is "The Shed"  Great BBQ and has been showcased some of the food shows.  Jazz music on the weekends.
  • Last time I was in BR, someone got shot at TJ Ribs.  I try to leave the gunpowder out of my BBQ.
  • TJ's is hit or miss and overpriced in my opinion. But I haven't been shot there yet...so I guess that's sumthin'.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    TJ's is hit or miss and overpriced in my opinion. But I haven't been shot there yet...so I guess that's sumthin'.
    It is overpriced because of the name and all the LSU garb in there. We still go there every time we are in town.
  • nolaegghead
    Cochon_Couyon - I showed my buddy this thread and he laughed...His wife is family with DiGuilios, her half sister and her hubby one of the owners.  I've confirmed that Fred is indeed living in Mexico with some other expatriates.  And, he's very goofy.  What the heck happened where he didn't pay you?!  I forwarded the message via email, so hopefully it finds its way to Fred. :D
    Behold the power of the egghead forum! Opening international communication lines for collection!!
    Well, apparently he spent all the money before I got my last draught :D I'd done several jobs with him before that and everything went like clock work. He just went broke on me I reckon'. He lost his house and, in his defense, he did offer me a deal on his boat...but it was more boat than I needed. Truly not a malicious bone in his body...just a sweet goofy old man finally done in through years of financial  asshattery. But if a check shows up I'll come down and we'll go on a whirlwind bulk specialty meats acquisition extravaganza! ;)
    I know a very good butcher...plus, there's always Langensteins (on Old Metairie Rd).... :D