Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Seared Filets... AND... Planked Salmon?

Has anyone timed this cook out?

I can reverse sear steaks, and IMO... it's undoubtedly the best method to cook steak! But I've never tried to time a surf/turf cook on the Egg before. It's a daunting task, without two grills. (Personally... if I am served cold fish or overdone steak.......I'm sending it back!)

So.....this my plan:

Slow cooking filets with light cherry wood (@225 grid)..... Adding salmon once steaks are 95 degrees iternal.

Pulling steaks at 120.

Pulling salmon at 125... (and wrapping in foil.)

Open up the Egg big and wide...until it hits 6 bills... use a spider and a smaller grid, (already in place under the plate setter)....with the grid as close to the heat as possible. Sear for 75 seconds each side, then pull.

Hopefully my sous chef will have the salmon garnished and plated, ...and both surf/turf will be hot!

The only unknown here, is the time it will take to get the Eggn up to searing temp! I'm thinking if the Egg can gain 375-400 degrees in 5-7 minutes...........I'm home.

Any insight/ experience on such a cook, would be greatly appreciated!

(Did I mention I'm also calculating to get some hobo spuds and grilled asparagus done on the 2nd tier of the AR during the same cookl?!!!! )

Trust me... I'm trying to deomonstrate the need for a second Egg, to the sous chef... I can only hope she sees the logic!

Thanks in advance!

BOOMER!

Comments

• You may want to sabotage the cook in order to convince SWMBO to buy another BGE?  Maybe? 
    Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Since your CI grid is in place during the entire cook, you don't necessarily need to get the dome to 600. I do this and am usually searing within 5 minutes of opening up. The asparagus can cook on the upper grid during reheat, sear and resting period. .

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle