Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket tender but, a bit dry.

Options
Eller
Eller Posts: 56

I did a brisket today and I had good results but not fantastic results. I got an 8 pound brisket from Costco and injected it with beef broth and soy sauce mixture. I put a rub on  and left ot overnight in the fridge. I set up the cook at 300 degrees dome temp indirect until the internal temp fo the meat was 150 degrees. Then I foiled the meat and braised it in more beef broth, honey, and soy sauce. I kept the temp at 300 degrees and cooked until the internal temp was 205 degrees. Then I placed the brisket still foiled and wrapped in a towel in my cooler for 1 hour.

The meat was very tender and flavorful but the inside of the brisket could have been jucier. Any suggestions?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Based on the brisket size you may have had a flat as opposed to a packer- but regardless, your cook sounds like it should have yielded some juicy results-did you make sure the brisket was done- "probe goes in and out of the thickest part of the flat like butta"-as temperature is just a guide.  Beyond that, I'm at a loss (not an infrequent occurrence:)).  However, sometimes it's just that hunk of beef and nothing you are gonna do will make it any better.  I'm sure the "true brisketeers" will be along to offer some additional thoughts.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eller
    Eller Posts: 56
    Options
    Lousubcap, I did this cook lower and slower over XMAS and the meat was tender and juicy. My holiday cook was 275 degrees for about 12 hours until the internal temp was 205. This last cook was a hotter cook due to time constraints. Thanks for you help.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Mine was cooked exactly like yours and turned out exactly the same. Not bad but dry. Oh well, another day maybe.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    I never exceed 250-260 for my brisket cooks and they are moist and very tender.  I always get a full packer cut about 14-15 lbs.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Samurai
    Samurai Posts: 3
    edited January 2013
    Options
    All but one of my briskets have come out great, packer or not. I cook at about 200 degreesfor msot of the cook until it gets about 190. It is long and slow, but worth it. No injections, just a rub over night.