Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

When do you apply wood chips?

LarrymacLarrymac Posts: 93
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
So obviously new at this-- but if I wanted a quick meal like burgers or steaks and wanted some smoke flavor I would not use lump wood but instead woods chips. At what stage of the process do I apply the chips and then how long before its ready to put the food over the fire ?

Comments

• IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    You would still use lump charcoal as normal, but just sprinkle the chips on right before you start grilling the steak.  I believe the lump charcoal gives plenty of smoke for a burger/steak anyway so I never use them.   
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    When a quick cook like steaks or burgers....I get the fire going nice and hot, wait for all the VOC's(nasty smoke from the lump) to burn off, and throw a handful of chips on the hot coals right before I put my food on. I'll usually let the chips burn for a few minutes before putting my food on.

You can always mix a bunch of chips right in with your charcoal pile before lighting it too.
  • LarrymacLarrymac Posts: 93
    edited January 2013
    You would still use lump charcoal as normal, but just sprinkle the chips on right before you start grilling the steak.  I believe the lump charcoal gives plenty of smoke for a burger/steak anyway so I never use them.   
    Sorry I meant I wasn't going to use like lump fruitwood for a quick fire-- definitely planned still to use lump charcoal