Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Guy's 1st Overnight Smoke

Options
Got my XL on Wednesday and popped the cherry with baby backs for my first smoke on Friday- turned out pretty nice.  It was just a warmup to the Butt that went on at 10pm Saturday and 18 hours later at 225º, the results...
Basic rub of s&p, paprika, cayenne, tubinado sugar, coffee grounds, and ground mustard that went on the night before and a bit more just before going on the egg with a vinegar based sauce to dip.  The entire smoke took place during single digit temps and off and on snow in Alaska.  I'm hoping to do a smoke in real extreme temps before the winter is over.  I think I'll go with 250-275 next time to cut the time down just a bit and hopefully not lose out on the results.  Thoughts from the gallery?? This tasted fantastic btw! 
XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    What do you want from us!?! That thing looks fantastic!! =P~

XLBGE 
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    What do you want from us!?! That thing looks fantastic!! =P~
    and most of that is due to info on this forum

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Good work...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SouthernSmoke
    Options
    Looks great to me!! In real extreme temps?  Single digits is pretty extreme to us here in Mississippi, but the coldest we usually see is in the mid upper 20's or 30's
    Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS
  • Browninggold
    Options
    Looks good. One question I have though with you being in Alaska and such a long flavorful cook. Do you have your Egg fenced in? Seems like those Big Bears would have a feast :)
  • calracefan
    Options
    Looks like you have it ! I usually try to cook Pork Butts in the 250 -275 range (Dome) on my large, nut that is also where it is very "happy".
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Yep. Looks great. Only suggestion is what you already said. Bump up the temp some to 250-275 DOME. This will mean grate level cooking 225-250ish. Looks fantastic and I like the smoke ring.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    Options
    I cooked a couple of small butts on my large this weekend as well. I kept the temp around 250 and it took about 12 hours. I wish I took a pic after they were pulled, but we had company over and it just didn't last long enough.
    bbq.jpg 792.2K
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Did you cook it in that rack? (I'm another noob). That looks phenomenal.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I did 2 Butts overnite last weekend put on at 10pm pulled at 8am Butts were right at 200. Went to bed with dome at 275 got up at 7 and was at 250. They were two 7.5lb Costco Butts. They came out perfect. Nice bark, smoke ring and very juicy. Cooked fat side down.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    Looks good. One question I have though with you being in Alaska and such a long flavorful cook. Do you have your Egg fenced in? Seems like those Big Bears would have a feast :)

Those boys are all snoozing now but I'm sure the smell from our yard could've made a few wake early. We are fenced though, but if a bear wants in, he's getting in. Hopefully he'll be far enough from the egg so that he doesn't damage it when he meets the .50 cal Desert Eagle. Then, he'll get to spend lots of time on the egg :)

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    GQuiz said:
    Did you cook it in that rack? (I'm another noob). That looks phenomenal.
    Thanks.  I did use the rack.  I saw a video of a guy doing it that way and thought it would be easier to transport.  Put the rack on top of the stock grate and over a drip pan.  Turns out that the butt fell right out of the rack so I'm sure woulda come off of the grate just as easy.

• hoofaloos
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I did 2 Butts overnite last weekend put on at 10pm pulled at 8am Butts were right at 200. Went to bed with dome at 275 got up at 7 and was at 250. They were two 7.5lb Costco Butts. They came out perfect. Nice bark, smoke ring and very juicy. Cooked fat side down.
    That sounds like the kind of time I'm chasing- and they look fantastic!

• hoofaloos
    Options
    nashbama said:
    I cooked a couple of small butts on my large this weekend as well. I kept the temp around 250 and it took about 12 hours. I wish I took a pic after they were pulled, but we had company over and it just didn't last long enough.
    That's the perfect sign of approval

• tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    Options

My personal rule on pork butts is anything between 200 - 250*....just depending on how much time you are willing to put into it.  I think where a lot of people screw up is not letting the actual butt get hot enough.  190* is your fat busting point.

Great looking cook there though, don't need advice from me!

- EAT BEEF -