Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need to know a good chili

Jerome Poole
Jerome Poole Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to fix about 5 or 6 lbs. of chili tomorrow on the egg fell the smoak willgive it a good flavor.
Thanks Jerome

Comments

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Jerome,[p]Check out Foodtv.com. Alton Brown made chilli last night and the only change I would offer is to get a chuck roast sear it off on the egg @ 700 and follow his recipe from there.
  • Img_0903.jpg
    <p />Jerome,
    If Qbabe and Mr. Hyde are listening, I vote for their chili at Waldorf! Man that was good! [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    P51401242.jpg
    <p />The Naked Whiz,[p]Was that the one with Lamb?[p]This year?[p]I asked them for the recipe, but I haven't gotten it out of Tonia yet...she said Larry just sorta thows it together each time!![p]Not bad I'd say!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • The Naked Whiz,
    That sure looks great that is what I am looking for.
    Jerome

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Jerome,
    Kenny G has a great chili as well. Maybe he will post it if he see's this thread.
    Hammer

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    KennyGChili.jpg
    <p />Jerome,[p]Kenny G's chili ROCKS! I did it for a neighborhood chili cookoff here in Austin. I did not place (it had beans cause I like beans) but it was the first pot that was empty. Go figure.[p]Here's his recipe.[p]Here's the base recipe. This will provide 4 hearty servings and will
    double, triple, and quadruple nicely for company and larger crowds. I made a triple batch for EggFest.[p]1 large can (28 oz.) seasoned diced tomatoes and liquid (Muir Glen brand is the best that I've found), any brand will do.
    2 cans (14 oz. each) chili beans and liquid - mild or hot or one of each (I like Bush's but have had good luck with Joan of Ark, Libbeys, and the supermarket's house brand)
    1 lb. ground meat or sausage. (ground chuck, sirloin in any fat/lean
    combination, leftover sausage, etc. I used a 2:1 ratio of ground meat and spicy pork sausage in ATL.
    2-3 strips bacon
    3 medium cloves of garlic run through a garlic press.
    1 large or 2 small onions, medium chop (Vidalia or Texas sweet, Maui, etc)
    2 T. chili powder (McCormick is fine or something better)
    1 T. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 squirt Hershey's chocolate syrup or equivalent
    Splash of Balsamic Vinegar
    Splash of Tabasco sauce or your favorite
    1 tsp. oregano
    2 T. general purpose BBQ rub (Lysanders, Bilardo Bros, Dizzy Dust, etc)
    6oz. beef broth or better yet - beer or fruity red wine (use the cheap
    stuff)
    1 large dried chili pepper - pasilla (wimpy) Chipotle (hotter) pequin
    (hotter yet) Scotch bonnet or Habenero (five alarm)
    Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
    Wood chunks - I used hickory, mesquite and pecan in ATL[p]Preparation:[p]Preheat your Egg to 275-300�
    Open tomato and bean cans and dump into appropriately sized "chili pot",
    deep Corningware casserole dish, metal stockpot, cast iron Dutch oven, etc.
    Fry bacon extra crisp in a non stick skillet and remove and crumble into chili pot.
    Use bacon drippings to brown ground meat or sausage seasoning with salt and
    pepper as you go. Halfway through the browning process, add onions and
    garlic, drain grease and dump contents into chili pot. Float your dried
    chili(s) on top.
    Add in all remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly to incorporate well.
    Cook on the Egg with smoking chunks, placing chilipot on a pizza stone or
    other "thermal barrier". This allows the chili to heat slowly and pick up more smoke flavor. Stir and taste every 20 minutes or so. Remove the
    dried pepper when you have the heat you might be looking for. Monitor the
    chili temp with an instant read thermo or Polder. At about 140� internal and 1.5 to 2 hours, remove the thermal barrier. With the pot directly over the heat now, it should come up to almost a boil in about 30 more minutes.[p]Serve with thinly sliced green onions and grated cheddar cheese on top.[p]It will taste even better the next day, of course.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas