Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coldest cook?

Whats the coldest you are willing to go outside and cook on the BGE? I don't think I have found my temp yet. I cooked up some steaks and veggies tonight and the outside temp was -37 C. I smoked a pork shoulder for New Years Eve, but it was a balmy -26 C.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2013
    42°F. (I'm in Houston). The key to doing this is to wear layered clothing, and and only stay long enough to check the progress of the cook.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• brimee
    brimee Posts: 127

I started a brisket a week ago when it was around 30 but that was something I had to do at that time, I ussually postpone any cooks around here until it is at least in the 40s or 50s. We have to many decent days around, I'm not going to punish myself in anything colder just because I can.

Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    So far I've used my Eggs as low as 12F (-11 C) but that is only because this winter has been warmer than normal. Now that I have 2 grills that seem to behave the same in the winter as they do in the summer and a permanent year round grill gazebo, I figure I've got no excuses. I am going to have what I want, when I want it. Weather be dammed. I am not good in heat, but I have no problem with the cold. I just put on more clothes.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
     I've cooked at -17F, w. a substantial wind chill. Yesterday, I forgot to clean and fill and Egg w. lump. Don't really want to do that today. There's been a 25F drop in temperature, and the wind is coming down from the north west at 35 mph. Going to be hard to convince myself to fire one up just for a few minutes of searing...
  • Should I even post my temps! It snowed in Mississippi on Tuesday! 33 F! Woot woot

Y'all have fun with that cold stuff. When its under 50 I'm bundled up like an Eskimo.

XLBGE 
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    CCC74 said:
    Whats the coldest you are willing to go outside and cook on the BGE? I don't think I have found my temp yet. I cooked up some steaks and veggies tonight and the outside temp was -37 C. I smoked a pork shoulder for New Years Eve, but it was a balmy -26 C.
    So, for the Americans, that -37 C is -35F. I would say that would be a near record. Fortunately for me - and my wife - it doesn't get that cold here in TN. I am from Alaska, and I cooked (pre-egg) at whatever the temp was when we wanted to cook. Never got that low however. Probably -20 F, but that's not a limit, just the lowest I got to.
    LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Nothing close to some of the above -but I don't travel to extreme cold with the BGE just to cook :) There are some real benes to BGE cold cooks-ice won't dilute the adult supervisory beverage and non-iced beverages don't warm-up.  Also SWMBO will NOT venture out to your escape haven and inquire about what's going on :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Been 30 degrees here in seattle, i took my poor kids running in it bundled up of course. Poor guys they didnt complain though...so steppkng out for a cook has been a breeze.
    Seattle, WA
  • CCC74
    CCC74 Posts: 11
    I see its warming up today! Except now there is a crazy wind chill factor lol. I will take the -37 with no wind over this.

Its ticks me off when its colder here than it is in the arctic!

• SigP
    SigP Posts: 25
    It was a brutal 49F this morning when I fired up. That's the coldest so far. I love Florida winters...
  • Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    45 F for me or I'm movin' further south !
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    about minus 7 f was the coldest for me. bunch of bread boules for bread bowls for some lobster bisque. set my traps early for a salmon and played hockey most of the day on the pond and still got the cook off. i would have to carry my egg up mt washington for -35f, ive only seen colder once and they shut the ski lift down before noon
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Yeah, yall can have the cold. As if you didnt realize from the word "yall" I am in the South. Growing up in the Lowcountry (Beaufort, SC) and now in Columbia, definitely not used to the cold. When it snows here the city goes crazy-- everyone dusts off the cameras to take pictures. There are framed pics in art galleries around here of "Snow in Five Points". I am bummed the high is 46F tomorrow.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Wings and ABT's yesterday for the games, -5 F, before windchill.  We had the fireplace so stoked up that I didn't even need a coat for the brief moments I ventured outside to check the progress.
    Edina, MN

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    70 degrees is my coldest cook in the year I've had the egg. August in FL is another story.
    Dunedin, FL