Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger, is My Webber Now Obsolete?

My wife surprised me for Christmas with a MGE and I'm totally stoked!  Got the plate setter, a weed burner and a 10 gal. can for lump storage.  Have already done a whole chicken, 2 Lexington-style pork butts, reverse seared burgers and some chicked breasts, all of which turned out great, thanks to tons of reading here.

So is my Webber propane grill now obsolete, should I sell it for for accesory cash?

Mark in FL

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    It makes a great storage place for your EGGcessories!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    If it still works - keep it. Storage for hot and cold items, true, but it is also the best warming oven you will ever have. I have a MBGE, so if we have 8 people for dinner, I can do enough chicken or butt or roast to feed everyone, but the space becomes pretty tight. My gasser, Broil King, does a great job on warming up twice bakers or grilling veggies. 

If we are cooking souvlaki heavy marinate, the gasser does a quick job and is done before the egg is even up to heat. 

I also use the side burner for wok stir fry, again, the stir fry is done before the egg is even lit. 

Different tools, different jobs, different results. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Performer sits idle since I got mini. With a med you won't use it, craigslist time
    Seattle, WA
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Rumor out there that a product exists that will turn that weber into the greatest cooking machine on the planet. Can't recall the name...man something or other.
  • I heard something like that too IrishDevl add that grate product to the Weber gasser and it will be grate.
  • Sell...sell...sell... I Sold my gas grill and bought a table from jsdesignshop.com for $350 now I have room for it in my garage.
  • freduc2
    freduc2 Posts: 73
    I still use my Weber Performer (charcoal) for burgers, sausages or something quick if its just me and the wife. I have a Jenn-Air gas grill that hasn't been used in 2 years. I'm thinking of just getting rid of it to free up deck space. 
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
  • Thanks Irish, I looked at those after doing some reading here, I have CI grates on her now but may try these in the future.

accarpen said:

Sell...sell...sell... I Sold my gas grill and bought a table from jsdesignshop.com for $350 now I have room for it in my garage.

That's where I'm leaning because I really want a table, may even end up building one!

Mark

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390

Thanks Irish, I looked at those after doing some reading here, I have CI grates on her now but may try these in the future.

accarpen said:

Sell...sell...sell... I Sold my gas grill and bought a table from jsdesignshop.com for $350 now I have room for it in my garage.

That's where I'm leaning because I really want a table, may even end up building one!

Mark

Here is to hoping your can understand sarcasm.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @cigarsmokinegger - it all comes down to available space and money. There are some purists, those that do everything over charcoal, that's OK because that's what they want to do. If you need the money to buy/build a table, set your priorities and sell your Weber gas grill. If you do not have the space for the two to co-exist, sell the Weber gas grill. 
    If the Weber is in good shape, has a cover, has a side burner and you have space for it, think very carefully before selling it. 
    Marinades can be reduced to use as basting or dipping sauce while you watch the egg. Great for overflow for big cooks. Great for fast cooks, hot dogs for the kids etc. Direct grilling veggies, that do not benefit from smoke are often better on the gasser if there is no room on the egg. 
    Good luck and enjoy whatever you do.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Agee with Skiddy I use mine for overflow on large cooks, vegetables, keeping food warm etc. and my wife likes cooking on it.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Faced with the same problem with a good and still functioning charcoal grill I had before getting my large, medium and mini. I initially thought I would keep it to use as extra storage or for quicker items such as hot dogs, burgers, etc if I was entertaining tons of folks. I haven't used it in two years mostly because its not in the same location as my eggs, I can fit tons of stuff in my large with the AR, I use my medium and mini for the sides or extra food. Long story short is I plan to sell on Craigslist this spring and will likely use the extra cash for more Eggcessories and or meat!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • After getting my first egg, I gave my gasser to a friend who wanted it. One day they stopped by and I gave them some BGE Q that I had just finished.  They always seem to want me to do some Q for them now.  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • CSE:

IMHO, if you have the room to keep it, keep the gasser. MyChar Broil Red sees just about the same amount of use than the MBGE does, especially from the wife. For quick cooks when we don't want to mess up the kitchen, veggies, breakfasts on a cast iron grill (won't fit in the Egg) the Char Broil was definitely a keeper. The Weber gasser is a very nice outfit (wish I had one) for the same reasons mentioned above and when the Char Broil finally bites the big one (it is hanging in very nicely now) I'll more than likely treat myself to a Weber gasser. I know that my be sacrilege around here, but as one replier stated different tools, different jobs, different results. :-)

If time is also short you can't beat a gasser for speedy warmups.
  • CCC74
    CCC74 Posts: 11
    I agree. Keep the gas grill. I use my Napoleon grill all the time. Its great to have for cooking large meals that need different temperatures. Even if I got another egg, I would still keep the gas grill.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I kept our gas grill after starting smoking but never lit it for a number of years.  The grill still looked great on the outside but all burners had rusted away.  A neighbour from down the road asked if he could have it and we gave it to them.  He was going to buy new burners for it and I am sure it will be good as new.  The only thing from past experience replacement burner only last a couple of years.

Gerhard
  • A gasser may prove helpful....unless you can sell it and get some more gear for your BGE. I like that set-up you have.
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Keep it. It is useful. Last week while smoking some ribs slow n low I put on some turkey sausage for lunch. I smoked the sausage for 35 to 40 minutes then put them on the gasser to finish them off and give them a nice crunchy casing.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    @cigarsmokinegger - it all comes down to available space and money. There are some purists, those that do everything over charcoal, that's OK because that's what they want to do. If you need the money to buy/build a table, set your priorities and sell your Weber gas grill. If you do not have the space for the two to co-exist, sell the Weber gas grill. 
    If the Weber is in good shape, has a cover, has a side burner and you have space for it, think very carefully before selling it. 
    Marinades can be reduced to use as basting or dipping sauce while you watch the egg. Great for overflow for big cooks. Great for fast cooks, hot dogs for the kids etc. Direct grilling veggies, that do not benefit from smoke are often better on the gasser if there is no room on the egg. 
    Good luck and enjoy whatever you do.

I agree with what Skiddy said. Plus used gas grills don't bring much at least out here on the west coast.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Keep the Weber gas grill.  You can never have enough grilling space, and the gas grill is a wonderful instrument.  For example, yesterday I did a whole chicken in parts on the MGE  and simultaneously grilled sliced potatoes, onions, and peppers on the gas grill.  On New Year's Day, our oven blew up.  On the MGE, I cooked (one after the other):  salmon, pumpkin pie, and a green bean casserole.  I  cooked 5 lbs. of two types of wings on my old Weber charcoal grill and the gas grill.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • I still use my Weber every time I cook on the Egg. I use the side burner to start my chimney. The storage underneath also holds my AR and the grates that I have. Still, it is the most expensive accessary that I have.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432

is My Weber Now Obsolete?

It always was.  You're only now realizing it...  
    ;)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• That's hilarious Botch, nice! And Devil, I do, just a tad more subtle on the interweb :)
    hapster said:

My wife surprised me for Christmas with a MGE and I'm totally stoked!  Got the plate setter, a weed burner and a 10 gal. can for lump storage.  Have already done a whole chicken, 2 Lexington-style pork butts, reverse seared burgers and some chicked breasts, all of which turned out great, thanks to tons of reading here.

So is my Webber propane grill now obsolete, should I sell it for for accesory cash?

Mark in FL

Enough about the Weber... more curious, what type of sticks to your burn while cooking outside?

Hey Hapster, my go to stick is a Rocky Patel Sungrown, but I also like Fuente Hemingway, Monte Cristo White, Romeo & Julieta, Diamond Crown Maximus, etc.  Have a temp/humidity controlled cabinet that was made in Texas, 3'x2x2'.

Mark