Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

My first boston butt experience

sppatelsppatel Posts: 5

Hi everyone, well I just made my first boston butt on the egg yesterday and just wanted to share my experience.  It was a 6lber (boneless).  I wanted bone-in but they didn't carry any, and this was a butcher shop, so found it a little strange.  I started at 9:45 PM, at 240.  I mixed in cherrywood chips throughout the lump and filled the lump all the way and topped it with 1 hickory chunk.  Plate setter legs up + drip pan w/ water + grid and butt directly on top.  Fat cap up.

At around 11, the next morning, the dome temp dropped to 230 (butt at 180) and I had a feeling I was out of coal, and so I took everything out and sure enough was out. I filled it with lump, temp went back up and by 1pm, one of the probe hit 193 and the other 200, so I pulled it, wrapped it and let in sit for an hour half in a cooler.

As far as taste I thought it was pretty good, but after shredding everything it was more dry then I had expected.  Don't get me wrong there were pieces that were very moist, but i was expecting a lot more.

(1) I'm not sure why I ran out of lump.  (Using big green egg brand)

(2) Any alternatives on what can I do to ensure that its more moist?

Comments

• DMurfDMurf Posts: 466
    Have two butts on the EGG right now.

As for running out of lump, did you fill above the fire ring? I always do and have never run out during a long cook. Also the BGE Lump is from Royal Oak, at least that is my understanding, and I have found that RO burns faster than other lumps. I know that there are many that do not like Cowboy brand on the forum but it works for me and a single load for a Low and Slow will last 24+ hours at 250. 

With the butt being drier than you liked I will have to defer to the masters on the forum to comment, I have not had that issue (yet) so do not know how to deal with it. I know that some added apple juice once they have pulled the meat but I have never done this.

Good looking cook though.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Crispix49Crispix49 Posts: 165
    I'd recommend trying Wicked Good for your low and slows...very dense lump and lasts a long time.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!