Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wife doesn't like the egg because she doesn't like the smoke flavor.

2»

Comments

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    What lump and what wood have you used?  Neither of us likes mesquite.  If I cook using even a few pieces of mesquite based lump, I get complaints.  Publix Greenwise and Royal Oak, no complaints.  For smoking wood, apple, hickory, and oak are good (here).  Obviously mesquite is not.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Probably you should get rid of it . I'll PM you with my address. Anything to help out your marriage.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • have had the same problem, weekend warrior seems to have solved it, also like other have said cooking indirect helps, SWMBO was off hamburgers for 2 or 3 yrs, did some low and slow with a drip pan under them on the egg, and now SWMBO demands  "asks politely" for hamburgers to be cooked on the egg
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • It is already stated above, but problem is very likely that you are putting the food on before the VOCs are burned off. I did exactly same when I 1st got my egg. Try smell test. If it smells bad, you need to wait another 20 minutes. When I check the fire after adding some lump, if bad stuff has not yet burned off, I have to come in and ways my hands because they pick up the odor. When it is ready there is no lingering smell.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    +(whatever number we are up to) to Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. I bake quite a bit on my Egg and neither I, or more importantly my wife can taste smoke. Usually by the time I reach my target temp the smoke is running clear. In fact the first few things I baked on my Egg, my wife didn't even know it wasn't done in the oven.

My FIL often says that when he said to me he had a girl for me, I must have misunderstood him and thought he said he had a grill for me.
    ;)
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    I bet you'll miss her....;-D
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • BakerMan said:
    I bet you'll miss her....;-D
    That's like the Country song "My wife ran off with my Big Green Egg, and I sure do miss it."   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Looks like she don't get any ribs!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Get rid of her.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    jfm0830 said:

+(whatever number we are up to) to Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. I bake quite a bit on my Egg and neither I, or more importantly my wife can taste smoke. Usually by the time I reach my target temp the smoke is running clear. In fact the first few things I baked on my Egg, my wife didn't even know it wasn't done in the oven.

My FIL often says that when he said to me he had a girl for me, I must have misunderstood him and thought he said he had a grill for me.
    ;)

Last summer my 10 to nephew announced to my sister that he thought he liked girls and wanted me to show him how to use one when they came to visit. My sister was trying to come up with something to say when he went on to talk about one my small Weber *grills*.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.