Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first boston butt experience

Options
sppatel
sppatel Posts: 5

Hi everyone, well I just made my first boston butt on the egg yesterday and just wanted to share my experience.  It was a 6lber (boneless).  I wanted bone-in but they didn't carry any, and this was a butcher shop, so found it a little strange.  I started at 9:45 PM, at 240.  I mixed in cherrywood chips throughout the lump and filled the lump all the way and topped it with 1 hickory chunk.  Plate setter legs up + drip pan w/ water + grid and butt directly on top.  Fat cap up.

At around 11, the next morning, the dome temp dropped to 230 (butt at 180) and I had a feeling I was out of coal, and so I took everything out and sure enough was out. I filled it with lump, temp went back up and by 1pm, one of the probe hit 193 and the other 200, so I pulled it, wrapped it and let in sit for an hour half in a cooler.

As far as taste I thought it was pretty good, but after shredding everything it was more dry then I had expected.  Don't get me wrong there were pieces that were very moist, but i was expecting a lot more.

(1) I'm not sure why I ran out of lump.  (Using big green egg brand)

(2) Any alternatives on what can I do to ensure that its more moist?

Comments

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Have two butts on the EGG right now.

As for running out of lump, did you fill above the fire ring? I always do and have never run out during a long cook. Also the BGE Lump is from Royal Oak, at least that is my understanding, and I have found that RO burns faster than other lumps. I know that there are many that do not like Cowboy brand on the forum but it works for me and a single load for a Low and Slow will last 24+ hours at 250. 

With the butt being drier than you liked I will have to defer to the masters on the forum to comment, I have not had that issue (yet) so do not know how to deal with it. I know that some added apple juice once they have pulled the meat but I have never done this.

Good looking cook though.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    I'd recommend trying Wicked Good for your low and slows...very dense lump and lasts a long time.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!