Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

look what mangrates did to the forum

124»

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,585
    Why the hurry?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • henapple said:
    Why the hurry?
    He doesn't get his commission check until someone buys one.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·

henapple said:

Why the hurry?

No kidding...If someone pushed me that hard I'd throw the mangrating mangrate in the mangrating river.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,408
    henapple said:

henapple said:

Why the hurry?

No kidding...If someone pushed me that hard I'd throw the mangrating mangrate in the mangrating river.

Don't forget, the mangrate is omnipotent. It would float down the river like Moses through the reeds.
    ·
    That's true. Floating while cooking the perfect ribeye.
    ·
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    and not to mention.....perfect sear marks in a diamond pattern on that ribeye!
    ·
  • StoaterStoater Posts: 292
    Boomer said:

@Mickey, Is there anyone in Salado or the surrounding areas that wanna take the Mangrates for a test run now that you have them in your hands?

Its almost like having a Bathtub and not using it :(

Can you just try them, Eventhough youre allergic to ci? i promise that nothing will happen to you other than, You'll love them...

LOL!

Hey Boomer, I would give them a try, i mean I would buy a set, but am waiting patiently for vl or one of the other master grillers to give us the heads up, personally I like nice grill marks and love my cast iron lodge pans, why don't you post some nice pics of your cooks with the mangrates?
    ·
  • bboulierbboulier Posts: 372
    We have links to all those specialized forums like Holiday Recipes, Appetizers, Lamb, Pork and even Valentines Day.  Where's the Mangrates forum?????
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    First unbiased opinion of mangrates. Tonight I did 2 ribeyes and 2 filets. Set 2 mangrates on my large cast iron grid, put 1 ribeye and 1 filet on the mangrate and the same on the CI. I only let the temp. get to 450, as it was getting late. The pics show the 2 pieces of meat to the top on the mangrates and the bottom 2 are on the CI. 2 minutes then rotate for 2 more. Flipped and did the same. pulled and rested for 10 minutes. Conclusion, the mangrates make a better presentation if your into grill marks, but neither my wife nor I could tell any difference in taste. Save your money unless grill marks are high on your list.
    man4.jpg 135.6K
    man3.jpg 153.3K
    man1.jpg 156.4K
    man.jpg 137.4K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • wait.....I thought the mangrate steaks turned to gold as soon as they hit the mangrate? Say it ain't so Billy Ray! There goes my retirement plan.

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,468
    No John they feel like made of gold. You will get half a set and need a trailer to take home.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    Mangrates are not just alchemists, they turn food into precious stones!

Grill marks equal panty melting! Every night will be like your birthday! Mangrates are not just a man, they are a machine!
    ·
  • Git a rope.  Where's Boomer?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    This can't be true - mangrates turned a hamburger I was making into filet mignon. I saw it with my own eyes. Surely yours was a imposter - they were just pretending to be mangrates.
    ·
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    Meh...

Purty grill marks do nothing for me. I like to see a nice char and crust on a steak....not burned, but some char to it. How do I get this Mangrate tattoo off my rump roast now?
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,666
    Got my Mangrate for Christmas. Need to do steaks now my wife loves the grill marks.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
    edited January 2013
    On the few occassions when I want grill marks, here is what I use with a reverse sear. I don't have to rotate to get the diamond pattern, so it cuts down the sear time. This is a piece from a Weber grill. Just put it right on the lump.
    grid.jpg 146.9K
    grid1.jpg 132.8K
    grid2.jpg 100.9K
    ·

Grill marks equal panty melting! Every night will be like your birthday! Mangrates are not just a man, they are a machine!

Mangrate...panties...really?
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,331
    ok, I'll confess...first time I opened this thread and saw the ....over capacity lingo.....come up, I just closed the thread thinkin'........website issues...... t

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·

After my mangrate experience last night, it took me back to a time when things were simpler.

=))
    ·
  • I've never been so mangrated in my life!
    I know the voices aren't real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.
    ·
    I was going to cook burgers tonight but the family said, "no mangrate grill marks...no burgers". Oh well. Help me Jason.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,468
    tjv said:
    ok, I'll confess...first time I opened this thread and saw the ....over capacity lingo.....come up, I just closed the thread thinkin'........website issues...... t

t

Tom that just shows you may be light years ahead in gray matter.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    I know the voices aren't real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.
    ·
    henapple said:

Mangrate...panties...really?
    Not really. Mangrates = no panties. No mangrates = doghouse.
    ·
  • BoomerBoomer Posts: 115
    edited January 2013
    henapple said:
    Why the hurry?

Wouldn't it be a shame to haver the Mangrates sitting on a table somewhere instead of putting them to work?

Like having a soap and shampoo and not bathing with it :)

·
  • BoomerBoomer Posts: 115

All I know is that a few restaurants have the Mangrates and the meats that are grilled on them turn out better than using their pre-existing CI grates, I used them on my LGBGE last night grilling aTri Tip and Beef Ribs, my guest's were on cloud 9. I guess I am not the only one that See's and Taste's the difference, The many Reviews out there don't lie :)

·