Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and Slow Setup for Small BGE

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The basis of the setup for Low and Slow in the Small BGE is 6x6 Clay Baking Tiles. The tiles I believe are the same that you use on a floor. I normally keep 6 tiles in my oven at all times. I have had the same set of tiles for about 10 years now. Of course all of the tiles are broken into two or three pieces, but they still work great.[p]In the center of the grill, I place two tiles side by side this gives a 6x12 mass. Then I take a two half tiles and place them flat on the outer edges. This creates a one-tile height of air space. Next, I take a cheap-o aluminum 9x13 cake pan and place it on the tiles. You will have to slightly bend the four edges in to make it fit. Then I put the meat in an adjustable v-rack. The reason to use an adjustable is that you will have lift one side a notch to make it fit in the small.[p]How you build the fire is very important. I do follow Elder Ward’s method of building a fire. The total amount of charcoal that I use is three coffee cans full, one of each size of lump (S, M &L). I really have to be creative to fit the last coffee can full in the egg, but if you slope the charcoal up to the top of the fire ring (not the firebox) it will all fit. The second reason to slope the charcoal to the sides is that you need room to put the fire starter and wood chunks. [p]By the time the fire starter is burned out, the temperature should be 200 to 250. Place the two soaked wood chunks side by side on the edge where the fire starter used to be. By a wood chunk I mean a piece of wood that is roughly the size of your fist. I have had to balance the grill on the two wood chunks on occasion.[p]Close the dome and let the magic happen. I leave the bottom vent open all of the way and the daisy wheel almost closed. The dome temperature usually drops to 100-150, but as long as you see smoke do not worry.[p]Sometime later (two to three hours), the dome temperature will reach 200 at which time you should adjust the vents. It is important to keep an eye on the temp and vent settings at this point and walk the temperature into the 225 range. If you do not, you could come back to an egg that is at 300-350. High Temperature spikes early on in the cooking will use up a good deal of the fuel that you will need to last the required 20-24 hours needed for Pulled Pork.[p]A quick note on capacity … this weekend I cooked a 7.5 pound Boston Butt. In the past, I have cooked an eleven and a half pound pork shoulder. You can really fit a lot in the small egg.[p]Hope this Helps,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Thanks a bunch Mike. A great description with lots of great info. Appreciate you taking the time to put that great post together. Next car-camping trip we'll be pulling pork![p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Your car must be bigger than mine. I don't think I could get the small in my car plus me, the Mrs and the boy.[p]lol[p]Fritz
  • Fritz
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]You are correct about the setup, though I have had great success without using tiles or bricks.[p]Fritz
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Fritz,
    Try it. We have a toyota avalon, and it lays down in the trunk, taking up less than 1/3 of the space. You'll be glad you brought it. Sacrifice!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Fritz
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]You *laid* it down??? How did you keep it from rolling around?[p]Fritz
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Fritz,
    I removed the firebox and fire ring, and packed stuff around junior. A big duffle bag, and a couple of boxes. No problems.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Most interesting. I'm at the brink of purchasing a Ford Mustang GT and am kinda worried about bringing the Small BGE to Jets tailgates in the new car. In my current car, I move the passenger seat all the way up and squeeze the Small BGE behind it. I'm a little worried with leather seats and a new car having Humpty back there. I'm actually thinking of getting a mini just for tailgates since I'm sure that would fit in the trunk. The first preseason game is July 29 so I'll hopefully get the car then scope out whether or not the Small will fit. If not, a mini will be in my near future for tailgates since a Jets game without some sort of BGE presence would not be a Jets game.[p]J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!
    Cornfed

• Unknown
    Options
    Cornfed,
    The mustang looks to have a very deep trunk, like a lot of new cars. I bet it fits!! If you get the mini, bring them both.[p]You might want to drive down here, and see where the action is really happening. Right here at Fed-Ex Field with the future champions....Redskins...who mean bizness this year![p]Cheers!
    NB

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Bature Boy,[p]Oh, oh. Are you another evil Nature Boy imposter like that Mature Boy who posted here once?!?[p]Just kidding. The Redskins look awesome this year. My older brother is a huge fan (he lives in NY but likes the Redskins...go figure) and it seems most Skins' fans are excited.[p]If truth be told, I'd like to leave my Small Egg home for Jets games. I'd rather keep things simple and bring along Sloppy Pig's Green Eggs and Hogs MIM BBQ rig!!! Now THAT would turn some heads and produce some serious tailgate food. We'd never go into the game...[p]Cornfed