Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Biggest Cook Yet

Why1504
Why1504 Posts: 277
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I got 6 slabs of ribs and 44 pounds of boston butt to cook between now and Saturday evening. I also got to make 15 pounds of slaw, and a couple af gallons of beans. Everything is ready, the fire is laid, and I start @ 7 in the morning. The meat looked like the best I have ever cooked. The butts didn't hardly smell as they came out of the cyrovac bags. Hope I don't screw up!!

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    FNP, I think you should start the butts way before 7 in the morning. I would start them about 4 today, if not sooner.

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    FNP, My Bad!! I see you were talking about 7 Friday morning. Just looked at your time. OOPS!

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    FNP,
    What occasion are you cooking for? Hope we are going to get to see some photos! (Altho I imagine you are going to be kinda busy <lol>)[p]Sounds like fun. I love having big projects like this where everything is planned out and organized and then you just get to go to town cooking.

• Why1504
    FNP,[p]Sorry, no pics, need to talk to my son about the camera. Got the ribs done thru the initial cooking @ about 12:30. Butts went on @ about 1:30 a bit earlier than I had planned but when I cook it always takes longer than planned. Currently the butts are at 134-141. I figure I will hit the plateau at about 11. Plan to get up at 4-5 to wrap in foil and finish. Slaw is done. right now I am sitting back, listening to a little Jimmy Buffet, and having a beverage. everything is proceeding as planned. All I got left to do is wrap the bricks in foil and heat up to maintain the heat in the coolers, make the beans, and finish the ribs everything else is in the car ready to go. As to the event, well I am cooking for my company party, last time I cooked I did a seafood fry for everyone. Shirmp, oysters, fish, hushpuppies and fries, as well as slaw and pies for dessert. I would not be cooking this time but our normal caterer was booked. well it will be a treat for everyone as they have all tasted my q before.
  • Why1504
    FNP,[p]The butts came off right on schedule. I am now resting, waiting til about 1:00 to start the beans, finish the ribs and pull the pork. Plan is to be complete by 4:30. The butts are fantastic. A couple of notes you go to cook 4 big butts take out the dome thermo as it won't fit with that much meat. Second, you need to move the butts around every couple of hours as there are hot spots when you have that much meat in the egg. Also, check the bone prior to pulling as the thermo may be in one of the hotspots. It took upwards of 22 hours to complete the butts cooking @ 225-250.