Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home cured picnic ham

Options
It's been in a maple cure for 5 days (light on the insta cure so I'm expecting it to be somewhat pale pink) and then rested for 36 hours. Egg is at 325 dome with some maple chunks. Here goes...

Comments

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looking good.
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    It came off at 145 internal and sat for 30 minutes. Carving a picnic is unique at best but it worked out ok. I think I would have taken the skin off first in hind sight. It didn't look good and I suspect it made it difficult for the cure to penetrate.

Despite curing the ham over 2 pounds per day and letting it rest for 36 hours the curing is clearly uneven. I did use less salt and insta cure than Rhulman. I would be hesitant to try more salts as it is too salty in the exterior.

The pure maple syrup in the cure is evident and wonderful. I'm also really pleased with the maple smoke. That will definitely make it into some chicken and rib cooks.

Reasonable first attempt. Next time ill make sure I can get a ham shank and ill have to play with the cure timing.