Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

look what mangrates did to the forum

124»

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Why the hurry?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    Why the hurry?
    He doesn't get his commission check until someone buys one.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• henapple

henapple said:

Why the hurry?

No kidding...If someone pushed me that hard I'd throw the mangrating mangrate in the mangrating river.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:

henapple said:

Why the hurry?

No kidding...If someone pushed me that hard I'd throw the mangrating mangrate in the mangrating river.

Don't forget, the mangrate is omnipotent. It would float down the river like Moses through the reeds.
  • henapple
    That's true. Floating while cooking the perfect ribeye.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    and not to mention.....perfect sear marks in a diamond pattern on that ribeye!
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Boomer said:

@Mickey, Is there anyone in Salado or the surrounding areas that wanna take the Mangrates for a test run now that you have them in your hands?

Its almost like having a Bathtub and not using it :(

Can you just try them, Eventhough youre allergic to ci? i promise that nothing will happen to you other than, You'll love them...

LOL!

Hey Boomer, I would give them a try, i mean I would buy a set, but am waiting patiently for vl or one of the other master grillers to give us the heads up, personally I like nice grill marks and love my cast iron lodge pans, why don't you post some nice pics of your cooks with the mangrates?
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    We have links to all those specialized forums like Holiday Recipes, Appetizers, Lamb, Pork and even Valentines Day.  Where's the Mangrates forum?????
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    First unbiased opinion of mangrates. Tonight I did 2 ribeyes and 2 filets. Set 2 mangrates on my large cast iron grid, put 1 ribeye and 1 filet on the mangrate and the same on the CI. I only let the temp. get to 450, as it was getting late. The pics show the 2 pieces of meat to the top on the mangrates and the bottom 2 are on the CI. 2 minutes then rotate for 2 more. Flipped and did the same. pulled and rested for 10 minutes. Conclusion, the mangrates make a better presentation if your into grill marks, but neither my wife nor I could tell any difference in taste. Save your money unless grill marks are high on your list.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • wait.....I thought the mangrate steaks turned to gold as soon as they hit the mangrate? Say it ain't so Billy Ray! There goes my retirement plan.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    No John they feel like made of gold. You will get half a set and need a trailer to take home.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Mangrates are not just alchemists, they turn food into precious stones!

Grill marks equal panty melting! Every night will be like your birthday! Mangrates are not just a man, they are a machine!
  • Git a rope.  Where's Boomer?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    This can't be true - mangrates turned a hamburger I was making into filet mignon. I saw it with my own eyes. Surely yours was a imposter - they were just pretending to be mangrates.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Meh...

Purty grill marks do nothing for me. I like to see a nice char and crust on a steak....not burned, but some char to it. How do I get this Mangrate tattoo off my rump roast now?
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Got my Mangrate for Christmas. Need to do steaks now my wife loves the grill marks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • billyray
    edited January 2013
    On the few occassions when I want grill marks, here is what I use with a reverse sear. I don't have to rotate to get the diamond pattern, so it cuts down the sear time. This is a piece from a Weber grill. Just put it right on the lump.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • henapple

Grill marks equal panty melting! Every night will be like your birthday! Mangrates are not just a man, they are a machine!

Mangrate...panties...really?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    ok, I'll confess...first time I opened this thread and saw the ....over capacity lingo.....come up, I just closed the thread thinkin'........website issues...... t

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • billyray

After my mangrate experience last night, it took me back to a time when things were simpler.

=))
  • I've never been so mangrated in my life!

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• henapple
    I was going to cook burgers tonight but the family said, "no mangrate grill marks...no burgers". Oh well. Help me Jason.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    tjv said:
    ok, I'll confess...first time I opened this thread and saw the ....over capacity lingo.....come up, I just closed the thread thinkin'........website issues...... t

t

Tom that just shows you may be light years ahead in gray matter.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Eggcelsior
    henapple said:

Mangrate...panties...really?
    Not really. Mangrates = no panties. No mangrates = doghouse.
  • Boomer
    Boomer Posts: 115
    edited January 2013
    henapple said:
    Why the hurry?

Wouldn't it be a shame to haver the Mangrates sitting on a table somewhere instead of putting them to work?

Like having a soap and shampoo and not bathing with it :)

• Boomer
    Boomer Posts: 115

All I know is that a few restaurants have the Mangrates and the meats that are grilled on them turn out better than using their pre-existing CI grates, I used them on my LGBGE last night grilling aTri Tip and Beef Ribs, my guest's were on cloud 9. I guess I am not the only one that See's and Taste's the difference, The many Reviews out there don't lie :)