Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow cooking newbie questions on cooking times

Options
Is there a table somewhere that will give you a ballpark idea of how long chickens, turkeys, ribs, roasts, pork butts etc will take to cook depending on their weight. I am aware that internal temperature matters and will be using a dual probe Maverick to monitor. But I would like to know ahead of time is this going to be around a 4, 8, or 12 hour venture. Especially if I am cooking for a party at a designated time I need to know approx time to get the cooked item to proper internal temperature in time for the meal so I would know how early to start.

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Hard to give you an accurate answer but for a chicken I start 1 1/2 hours before we plan to eat it's usually done just over an hour, turkey 15 to 17 lb about 3 1/2 hours, ribs 5 hours, pork butts 1 1/2 hours per pound but I start way early because they hold nicely wrapped in towel and then put in a cooler.  Generally I can have dinner ready close to the planned time.  When I started I remember we waited over 2 hours for a pork shoulder to finish but it has been while since I have had a problem like that.

Gerhard
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    There may be a table but I'm not aware-best to post your specific cook type here and you will get lots of help.  Really depends on the type cook (direct or indirect and dome temp).  As a ball-park-spatchcocked chix direct at around 350 on the dome take 40-60 mins.  Spatchcocked turkeys (12-14 #) same setup-around 90 mins.  Roasts-depends a great deal on the cook temp and once you get to where the length of the roast exceeds the diameter-the cook time is fairly constant in the mins/#.  Pork butts-250*F on the dome-plan for 2 hrs/#; 300*F on the dome-around 1.25 hrs/#.  Brisket-about the same as pork.  Ribs-depends on type but with 250 on the dome BB's in around 4-5 hrs-spares 5-6 hrs.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Larrymac
    Larrymac Posts: 103
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I read on some sites about brisket and other pork being cooked 10-12 hours which is significantly longer than what you posted. Why the difference?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    The entering bit of data to respond to your question is "what size hunk of meat".  Once you know that, then do the math and compare the answers...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Larrymac said:
    I read on some sites about brisket and other pork being cooked 10-12 hours which is significantly longer than what you posted. Why the difference?
    The cook temp. A 6# butt in maybe 6 hours if it is turbo cooked, indirect 350, maybe 12 hours if it cooked at 225-250. Both work, both are possible. 

I do suggest if you want to try a low and slow butt, do it during the day unless you have a stoker. I usually do 6# butts starting at 7:00AM, finish around 6:00PM. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!