Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Slow cooking newbie questions on cooking times

Is there a table somewhere that will give you a ballpark idea of how long chickens, turkeys, ribs, roasts, pork butts etc will take to cook depending on their weight. I am aware that internal temperature matters and will be using a dual probe Maverick to monitor. But I would like to know ahead of time is this going to be around a 4, 8, or 12 hour venture. Especially if I am cooking for a party at a designated time I need to know approx time to get the cooked item to proper internal temperature in time for the meal so I would know how early to start.

Comments

• gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 746
    edited January 2013
    Hard to give you an accurate answer but for a chicken I start 1 1/2 hours before we plan to eat it's usually done just over an hour, turkey 15 to 17 lb about 3 1/2 hours, ribs 5 hours, pork butts 1 1/2 hours per pound but I start way early because they hold nicely wrapped in towel and then put in a cooler.  Generally I can have dinner ready close to the planned time.  When I started I remember we waited over 2 hours for a pork shoulder to finish but it has been while since I have had a problem like that.

Gerhard
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 4,187
    There may be a table but I'm not aware-best to post your specific cook type here and you will get lots of help.  Really depends on the type cook (direct or indirect and dome temp).  As a ball-park-spatchcocked chix direct at around 350 on the dome take 40-60 mins.  Spatchcocked turkeys (12-14 #) same setup-around 90 mins.  Roasts-depends a great deal on the cook temp and once you get to where the length of the roast exceeds the diameter-the cook time is fairly constant in the mins/#.  Pork butts-250*F on the dome-plan for 2 hrs/#; 300*F on the dome-around 1.25 hrs/#.  Brisket-about the same as pork.  Ribs-depends on type but with 250 on the dome BB's in around 4-5 hrs-spares 5-6 hrs.  YMMV-
    Louisville
  • LarrymacLarrymac Posts: 77
    edited January 2013
    I read on some sites about brisket and other pork being cooked 10-12 hours which is significantly longer than what you posted. Why the difference?
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 4,187
    The entering bit of data to respond to your question is "what size hunk of meat".  Once you know that, then do the math and compare the answers...
    Louisville
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 4,853
    Larrymac said:
    I read on some sites about brisket and other pork being cooked 10-12 hours which is significantly longer than what you posted. Why the difference?
    The cook temp. A 6# butt in maybe 6 hours if it is turbo cooked, indirect 350, maybe 12 hours if it cooked at 225-250. Both work, both are possible. 

I do suggest if you want to try a low and slow butt, do it during the day unless you have a stoker. I usually do 6# butts starting at 7:00AM, finish around 6:00PM. 
    Delta B.C., Canuckistan - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter.