Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Shredded Beef with Sweet Peppers

I'm thinking I'm wearing out my welcome with Asian dishes, so let me know if I should get back to spatchcocks.

I am delving deeper into authentic regional Chinese dishes.  This one is Sichuan.  Sichuan is famous for hot and spicy dishes, but this one is not hot at all.  No chili oil, not even any ginger.  I got the recipe from the book: Land of Plenty: Authentic Sichuan Recipes by Fuchsia Dunlop.  Essentially, it's flank steak with bell peppers and sauce.

Here is a brief photo essay.

First, stir fry the bell peppers.

Offload them to a plate, then stir fry the beef.  It is very important to keep the ingredients sizzling throughout the cook.  Wok hei cannot be achieved if the wok temperature gets too low.

A few steps missing here, but essentially you put the bell peppers back on, add sweet bean paste and then add the sauce.  ALWAYS drizzle the sauce down the sides of the wok instead of the middle so you don't lower the temperature too much.

Finished.

Plated with some store bought dumplings (thanks to Kristi's inspiration).  I like my dumplings so much more, but I am out of them at the present.

In case you're interested, here is the recipe.

Ingredients:

1/2 pound Flank steak

1/2 Red Bell Pepper

1/2 Green bell peppers

1/4 teaspoon Salt

2 teaspoons Szechuan sweet bean paste

Peanut Oil

-----Marinade------

1/2 teaspoon Salt

2 teaspoons Shao Hsing rice wine

3 teaspoons Corn starch

-----Sauce --------

1 1/2 teaspoons Light Soy Sauce

1/4 teaspoon Salt

3/4 teaspoon Corn starch

3 tablespoons Chicken stock

Directions:

1. Cut the beef against the grain into very fine slivers and place it in a bowl.  Add the marinade ingredients and mix well.  

2. Cut the peppers into long, thin strips to match the beef.  

3. Combine the sauce ingredients into a small bowl.

4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok over a medium flame.  Add the bell peppers and ¼ teaspoon of salt and stir fry for about a minute, until they are just cooked.  Remove and set aside.  

5. Rinse out the wok

6. Add 2 teaspoons of oil to the beef and mix well.

7. Season the wok, then add 3 tablespoons of oil and heat over a high flame.  Add the beef and stir fry briskly.  When the meat strips have separated out, add the sweet bean paste and stir fry for about 10 seconds until the sauce is hot and fragrant.

8. Add the peppers and mix well.  

9. Immediately give the sauce a stir and add it to the wok.  Stir for a few seconds more until the sauce has thickened and then turn everything out onto a serving plate.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Gateway to the Hill Country

Comments