Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Epoxy for Felt Gasket

Options
egret
egret Posts: 4,170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What type epoxy is best for replacing the felt gaskets? My new dealer called the 'mothership' and someone there told her to use Elmer's Glue. I'm sorry, but, I ain't believin' that......

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    egret,
    Well, that is what they say to use in the video for gluing down small sections that come loose. Besides, if you are replacing the gasket, the gasket has adhesive already on it, so why do you need glue?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • egret
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Don't remember that from the video, obviously! Also, I haven't given a close inspection to the new gasket regarding the self-adhesive properties of same, but I shall do that. Thanks for the input......

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    egret,
    Check! Yes, the new gasket has an adhesive backing. You need to pull the paper backing off of say, 12 to 18 inches, place that in place, pull more off, keep going, etc. It won't go around the curve with the paper backing on, but once you have pulled the paper off of a section, then that section will nicely go around the curve. Cut it in half, as there is plenty to do both halves. Then when you put it on, don't pull it tight or stretch it. Just let it lie down on the edge and press it in place. Good luck. It should be pretty easy to do.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • egret, I use non-adhesive felt material from Home Depot or Ace Hdw (17 ft for about $2), glued over the old leaky gasket with Elmer's glue. I currently have the latest gasket over two previous gaskets.

• egret
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thank you for the help.....

• otis
    otis Posts: 20
    Options
    George,
    Do you take off the gasket on the top, and then only add a new gasket to the lower?