Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Quick Boston Butt Question!

Boss man asked me to do a few Boston Butts to feed folks at a kayak fishing seminar on Saturday. I have cooked plenty of boston butts on the egg before but Ive never done two at a time. I cook at 250 for about 2 hours a pound normally. I have two bone in butts at around 7.5lbs each and need a little help for the time. Should I allow more time and cook for a total of 15lbs or will they cook individually in the same or close to time?

Thanks guys!

Clay White
Pensacola, FL

Comments

• JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,701
    I just did 2 butts this weekend put them on at 10:00pm at 260 dome indirect at 8:00 am the temp read 250 and internal butt temp was 200. They were perfect. The were about 7.5lbs each. Us Whites need to stick together...lol

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    They will cook individually same as if cooking only one but monitor temp on both, as every hunk of meat is different. Even equal size, one may finish long before the other.

JRWhitee, You aint kiddin! Fine bill fish you got there also!
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,701
    My daughter caught that one on her first deep sea fishing trip with me in Cabo. She's hooked....

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

• start early , then if they finish early which hopefully not too early, wrap in foil and through in a cooler.They will stay warm for quite a while this way.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,540
    You could also try to turbo them.....

It works for me, though I would understand discomfort with a new technique for a "high-level" cook. Perhaps try it for just you first.
  • Max232Max232 Posts: 76
    Is this the GCKFA kayak rigging clinic in gulf breeze?

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

• Max232 said:
    Is this the GCKFA kayak rigging clinic in gulf breeze?
    Max232 Yes it is. At Hot Spots! Just put them on and shooting for around 8am!

I have done the turbo method on ribs and they turned out FANTASTIC but a little sketched out trying something new on something like this!
  • Max232Max232 Posts: 76
    My son is going to that clinic, I have 6 butts to cook tonight for a MMA event in Pcola tomorrow night. Good luck with your cook, I'm sure they will turn out great.

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq