Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-- Sort of-- Food Saver help

I need a Food Saver unit. Got my first batch of bacon curing. Any suggestions on which unit I should get? I was overwhelmed when I saw the options and saw a lot of units did poorly with moisture. I don't want or need the most expensive, but I dont want junk either. Will likely only use it for batches of bacon, pulled pork, etc. Thanks in advance.
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    I have a V3880, and while it has a lot of poor reviews, I have no issues with it whatsoever - so far.  I use it all the time.  I have had a couple issues with sealing moist contents like soups or chili, but if you are patient - you can make it work.
  • I had been looking as well, until I found out my mom had one she wasn't using...

If I was purchasing, the best buy right now seems to be the one that QVC has - do a search on QVC for Foodsaver and it is the only one they have.  It's $108 and has about all the features.  Most important, it has the double seal for high-moisture content as well as a "dry" and "wet" settings.

The one I got does not do great with moisture because it does not have these features.

• I have this one and it works great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    There are lots of choices. Currently using a V3840 - my Gamesaver (pro model from Cabelas) is at my son's house, think it might be gone forever. The 3840 works just fine, however, the duty cycle is not too long. If you seal to make a bag, load the bag, then vac seal that bag. It will work all day. If you try to make 10 bags, fill 10 bags and then seal 10 bags - it will overheat and quit after maybe four or five. The features I like include:
    Moist or dry setting - allows a bit of moisture to be "sucked" up without the unit shutting down.
    Speed - normal gentle, or suck your brains out through your nostrils. Easier to use on "berries".
    Marinate - allows accessory port to hold pressure, nice for marinating in minutes rather than hours.
    Accessory - air out of wine bottles, or anything else. 

Easy to clean the tray after you fill it full of meat juice, or strawberry guts (don't ask why I know this).

Good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!