Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Question - Cooking Steaks

I have seen several methods for cooking steaks on the BGE.  One method suggests searing at a high temp for 2 minutes per side and then shutting the bottom vent and daisy wheel down completely and cooking another 4 minutes approximately.  I have tried this a couple of times and found the steak cooked perfectly but very smoky tasting.  Smoke taste is almost overwhelming.  I have also tried the TREX method and this worked well but I am some what impatient and want a faster turn around.  I know patience is a virtue and good things come to those that wait.  

What is the best way to get great steaks and quick turn around?  

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I have an XL Egg and what I usually do is build a fire on the right side of the firebox.  I can then sear the steaks directly over the coals and then cook on the other half.  It works great, because I usually have some baked potatoes going well before I put the steaks on.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    You can also just cook them at 500ish degrees until they hit the desired temp.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited January 2013
    Dont know how quick you are thinking but maybe indirect at 350-400 and then a direct (reverse) sear when they hit around 120 depending on your desired temp
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    When you shut the egg down all sorts of bad smells are created. Think of it like snuffing a candle. IMHO the best way to do a steak is to hot tub it and then just sear it off at 500* or so.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rtt121

When you shut the egg down all sorts of bad smells are created. Think of it like snuffing a candle. IMHO the best way to do a steak is to hot tub it and then just sear it off at 500* or so.
    +1 great results... but usually takes over an hour at least depending on thickness
  • Little Steven
    I go about 45 minutes per inch of thickness with water temp of 100*

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rtt121
    shift to learning mode...

at what meat temp do you pull it to put on a sear?
  • Little Steven
    You aren't measuring temp cause it's in a bag, preferably vac sealed. It's about the temp of the water bath after that time. You can do them in hotter water but I find around 100 is enough to get them close. There is still enough searing time to be able to cook to peoples tastes.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rtt121
    I have a foodsaver but when I water bath steaks... usually tenderloin... I use the zip lock bag dunked in a sink of water method so that I can open the bag and take a temp measurement.

With that said I usually just use a big stock put with a weight on the steaks to keep them submerged... but the water stays withing 10 degrees of 120.. the temp I am shooting for
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Never heard of hot tubbing a steak before,is it really a good method? Is  this like sous vide?
    Seems kinda odd to me.....ill have to give it a try.... maybe??

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • rtt121
    edited January 2013
    At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth.. hot tubbing is sous vide but not in an exactly temp controlled water.

If its not.. That is all I am doing.. A big stock pot on an electric burner.  Water temp Monitoring required.
  • Little Steven
    edited January 2013

It is like sous vide. What it accomplishes is the same idea. When you take a steak and grill it to, say medium rare or 135* in the middle, you will end up with a burned exterior (desireable) and from the edges, a section of very well done down through well done, medium well, medium till you get to the medium rare part you wanted. This method gives you the caramelised (burnt) crust and medium rare all the way through the interior. Damn, stike had a rendering

I found this

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Technically speaking, you are half right. Sous vide is French for "under pressure" so it is circulating hot tubbing under vacuum pressure.
  • rtt121

Technically speaking, you are half right. Sous vide is French for "under pressure" so it is circulating hot tubbing under vacuum pressure.
    Ahhhhhh. Technically is all that matters.
  • Little Steven
    Technically speaking you are also half right. Sous means under, vide means vacuum. Under vacuum :x

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

It is like sous vide. What it accomplishes is the same idea. When you take a steak and grill it to, say medium rare or 135* in the middle, you will end up with a burned exterior (desireable) and from the edges, a section of very well done down through well done, medium well, medium till you get to the medium rare part you wanted. This method gives you the caramelised (burnt) crust and medium rare all the way through the interior. Damn, stike had a rendering

I found this

Wow....that looks like perfection!! Gotta go get a pot of water on the stove right now...but wait....damn...  I don't have my egg yet:(
    Guess i could throw one on the napoleon bbq???lol
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • rtt121
    Cast iron pan on a gas burner will do.
  • Little Steven

I found this

Wow....that looks like perfection!! Gotta go get a pot of water on the stove right now...but wait....damn...  I don't have my egg yet:(
    Guess i could throw one on the napoleon bbq???lol
    True enough bud. The egg doesn't have a lot to do with the results on these

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Technically speaking you are also half right. Sous means under, vide means vacuum. Under vacuum :x

Amigito, technically speaking I committed a gross bastardization of the French language. Stupeed uh-mar-ee-cuns. ;)