Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Charcoal reducing ring

Options
I'm noticing that my perimeter charcoal does little more than hold the burning charcoal in place.. even on 15 hour cooks. I have a ring from a drum smoker I think will fit well.. has anyone tried a reducing ring?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They're frequently used, especially on XLs.
    I use the angle L brackets from ceramic grill store. I just got them at Christmas. They work great
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options
    I have one I use it when I wok, and smaller cooks, but I haven't been able to get it past 525, but that will depend on lump too, so it would be no use for a pizza cook or if u plan on keepin the egg hot for a couple of hours or so, it definitely has its place. Low and slow would never use as u would run out of lump too soon. Well don't know if that helps but there u have it.
  • Stoater
    Options
    Sorry ma guid pals innis & gunn are translating fur me noo.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2013
    Options

I use a lump reducing ring EVERY time I light the egg.  If I heap it over the top of the ring, I can get at least 12 hours which cover almost every cook I'd do (pork butt, brisket, etc.).  I modified mine and attached a grid on the bottom (with just 2 lock nut washers) so that I can shake the ash out after each cook.
    Works nice...image

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Stoater
    Options

I use a lump reducing ring EVERY time I light the egg.  If I heap it over the top of the ring, I can get at least 12 hours which cover almost every cook I'd do (pork butt, brisket, etc.).  I modified mine and attached a grid on the bottom so that I can shake the ash out after each cook.
    Works nice...image

Listen to choke on smoke, I have open bar rings
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I just push it more to the middle with the ash tool.

The sifting idea is pretty cool.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:

The sifting idea is pretty cool.
    I'm tellin' ya, it works great.  I won't ever do it any other way.  So easy and more important, it gives me a "clean" ash-free start every time I cook.  No charcoal grate clogs like I used to get.
    I have a metal garbage can, with a bag in it, right next to my egg.  I just lift out the ring, shake it a little over the garbage can, put it back and ready to go.

Packerland, Wisconsin