Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

How much pork ??????????????????????

My with wants me to do pulled pork for her work about 85 people . Can anyone tell me how much pork i'll need to feed that many .
Thanks in advance Phil 
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
·

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,914
    How many eggs do you have?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,415
    According to Amazing Ribs, you need about 45 pounds.

·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,380
    How many eggs do you have?
    1-large 1-XL 
    According to Amazing Ribs, you need about 45 pounds.
    Thanks nola is that precooked or after cooking weight any idea 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
    I see you have a large and an XL, that should be plenty. Rule of thumb is 40% loss in cooking and 1/3lb per person. If it's lunch it may be less.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Pre-cooked. You can round up to 50 pounds.   5 pounds of pork makes about 12 good size sammiches after pulling.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html

·
    Sounds pretty close to me. I have heard 1/4 lb but never seen that to be the case in my experience. Pre-cooked weight?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Yeah, raw.  There are other factors - what kind of people you're cooking for (truckers or ladies of the Jewish community center), are there other sides, other meat choices, etc.  Always better to have too much rather than not enough.

·

Dats true. Lots of stuff to do with the leftovers. Lot depends if you are serving corn, potato salad, beans and a cheese platter on the side too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,184
    45# is the standard estimate, pre-cooked, but - what else will be served? Take into account any appys, chips, veggie dips, how big are the rolls/buns for the sammies etc....
    Allowing 1/2 # pre-cooked per person is usually very safe. 
    (Also will there be salads/desserts etc...)
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,546
    Also, if the food is good like Egg cooked food people eat more!!!

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • Max232Max232 Posts: 76
    I am doing my first large low and slow tomorrow night, going to try to get 6 butts on my xl. I need around 100-125 pulled pork sandwiches sat night.

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,735
    Not sure about the pork, but one ? Works lol jk
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 12,820

I see you have a large and an XL, that should be plenty. Rule of thumb is 40% loss in cooking and 1/3lb per person. If it's lunch it may be less.

1/3...? Are you feeding 2nd graders?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 9,952
    henapple said:
    Whoa, henapple.... Not all of us can be such a grate man like you...
    ·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,636
    henapple said:
    Whoa, henapple.... Not all of us can be such a grate man like you...

if he can mangrate, and I can mangrate, we all can mangrate!
    Boom
    ·
    henapple said:
    That is a third of a pound cooked. half a pound raw. If you start with a ten pound butt yielding six pounds you would get 18 sandwiches

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,380
    Thanks for all the info guys greatly appreciated as for sides i don't know would be whatever anyone brings . My end is to supply the pork only . sounds like i'll be safe doing 60 pounds before cooking along with cheap burger buns 
    ·