Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Starter Placement & Looftlighter Lighting Tool

2»

Comments

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    For high temp cooks, I like to light in 3-4 spots. Either with more firestarters, or with the torch.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    More fire starters(12-8-4 on clockface) or stoke the fire by moving air into the bottom vent. You can accomplish this with a leaf blower, shop vac, or a barbie hair dryer.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    All I can add to Eggcelsior's post is this.....if you are gonna stick a leaf blower up to the bottom vent.....be prepared for a LOT of ash to be blown everywhere! I have tried it a time or two. I would make sure to clean out as much ash as you can before trying the leaf blower.
  • Eggcelsior
    Forgot about that part. Egg St. Helens
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Hose down everything, open a cold beer, then inject the business end of the leaf blower into the bottom vent of the egg.  After it reaches the temp equivalent to the surface of the sun, blast the ash off everything with said leaf blower.  ta-da!  Wait for good smoke, don't tell your insurance agent, and you're ready to party.
    I was wondering what the ash situation would be like with the leaf blower mod...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I guess i'm old fashion.  I'm fine with 2-3 wax starters and wait the 15-30 min to get to temp
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    So I tried to get the temp way up last night and maxed out at about 500. Cleared the holes in the firebox. Started the fire with 2 Weber cubes under a chimney full of lump ( B&B oak), then dumped it out over the charcoal when it was all completely lit. Hit 400F pretty easily. Raked the coals a couple of times and gradually got up to 500F and maxed out. I had even set up a small fan to blow air into the intake.Even poked the holes in the charcoal grate from below with a wiggle rod a few times.

Couple of reasons why I think it wouldn't go any higher:
    - its been raining a lot recently, and although the lump was under cover (not in a sealed bin though), I think it may have been damp.

-Used the bottom half of a bag of lump, so there were ALOT of little pieces, instead of the bigger chunks found in the top half of the bag. The lump seemed to be packed in too tight, without enough space for airflow.

-The fan was set on low.

- I filled the lump up to the top of the firebox. I may need to fill to the top of the fire ring next time.

I'm going to get a High Que type grate to replace the stock cast iron one. Anybody have any other tips not already mentioned in the posts above? Thanks.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    @caliking: you didn't mention the position of the daisy wheel, or the bottom vent. For over 350, I just take the DW off. As farr as small pieces, they get just as hot as large ones. like you said, just try not to pack them in. Mix them with some Biggies from the next bag.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Eggcelsior
    +1 on the the High Que. It also could have been the lump. With my High-Que, it zooms to temp. I'm nuclear in no time once the lump is lit.
  • I have only used a loof and love it. The only fault I would say is the button A better designed dead means switch would be an improvement.
  • nolaegghead
    I have only used a loof and love it. The only fault I would say is the button A better designed dead means switch would be an improvement.
    huh?
    tazcrash said:
    @caliking: you didn't mention the position of the daisy wheel, or the bottom vent. For over 350, I just take the DW off. As farr as small pieces, they get just as hot as large ones. like you said, just try not to pack them in. Mix them with some Biggies from the next bag.

Sorry - was going for max temp so DW was off and bottom intake was wide open. I used the DW once but usually cook without it. It confuses me.

For the future I'll pick the bigger pieces of lump out of the bag first and put them in vs just pouring it into the firebox. Any benefit to lighting from the bottom of the pile vs the top?

• nolaegghead
    caliking said:
    tazcrash said:

Sorry - was going for max temp so DW was off and bottom intake was wide open. I used the DW once but usually cook without it. It confuses me.

For the future I'll pick the bigger pieces of lump out of the bag first and put them in vs just pouring it into the firebox. Any benefit to lighting from the bottom of the pile vs the top?
    None.  Don't light from the bottom.
    So I tried to get the temp way up last night and maxed out at about 500. Cleared the holes in the firebox. Started the fire with 2 Weber cubes under a chimney full of lump ( B&B oak), then dumped it out over the charcoal when it was all completely lit. Hit 400F pretty easily. Raked the coals a couple of times and gradually got up to 500F and maxed out. I had even set up a small fan to blow air into the intake.Even poked the holes in the charcoal grate from below with a wiggle rod a few times.

- its been raining a lot recently, and although the lump was under cover (not in a sealed bin though), I think it may have been damp.

-Used the bottom half of a bag of lump, so there were ALOT of little pieces, instead of the bigger chunks found in the top half of the bag. The lump seemed to be packed in too tight, without enough space for airflow.

-The fan was set on low.

- I filled the lump up to the top of the firebox. I may need to fill to the top of the fire ring next time.

I'm going to get a High Que type grate to replace the stock cast iron one. Anybody have any other tips not already mentioned in the posts above? Thanks.
    Only my opinion but, once coals are lit i leave well enough alone.  I feel if you rake them they will pack down tighter and block air flow.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    caliking said:

-The fan was set on low.

Only my opinion but, once coals are lit i leave well enough alone.  I feel if you rake them they will pack down tighter and block air flow.
    I totally agree with this. I wait till the fire is roaring. 15+ mins be fore touching anything for a high temp cook.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Ok. I thought stirring the coals might loosen them up. The temp actually bumped 50F each time I did it. Do you leave the dome open for a while when lighting up?

• mangasb
    mangasb Posts: 14
    Hose down everything, open a cold beer, then inject the business end of the leaf blower into the bottom vent of the egg.  After it reaches the temp equivalent to the surface of the sun, blast the ash off everything with said leaf blower.  ta-da!  Wait for good smoke, don't tell your insurance agent, and you're ready to party.
    I like your style.  I've had no problem with the looftlighter.  Low and slow - I light the middle and throw my wood chips around the outside and they'll catch about 20-30 min in.  Full heat cooking, I like 4 spots and it spreads quickly.  I'll have to try the leaf blower this weekend.