Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Must be an inside joke...

OK, I've read the threads, see it mentioned in countless other threads, and I don't get it...

I don't want this to turn into another "Mangrates" thread, but what the heck is everyone talking about?  I understand what the PRODUCT is, but there seems to be some inside joke that I am missing...

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

This is about the story (not the product so much).This is where a lot of us have way to  much time on our hands and nothing cooking on any of the Eggs at the moment.

Just 90% fun and 5% product and 74% goofy.

That is my "mangrate" on it anyway :-?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I think your 'product' percentage is a little too high.
  • Mickey
    ptmurphy sorry but all is lost. This is going to be a mangrate thread :-t
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I believe this is the discussion that started it all:

It started out innocent enough...someone just asked if anyone used them, but then it spiraled into a full-fledged infomercial about mangrates.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• So I'm thinking I would have more luck cracking the secrets of the Freemasons than getting a real answer on this?  :-)

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    What SmokeyPitt said. I was about to post that link as well.

Please enjoy. Mangrate commands!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Don't worry about what it is...just buy one. It will change your life....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    Don't worry about what it is...just buy one. It will change your life....
    See, there's been so much tongue-in-cheek crap about this product, I don't even know if you're serious or not!

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    He is not
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I think it is safe to say the only serious posts on mangrates came from the guy or gal who originally posted about them.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Grasshopper. When you have the kool aid the secret of the mangrate will come to you as if in a dream

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• @ptmurphy, it seems you have received some helpful and not so helpful thoughts. Let me try to assist as well. I have served in the US Army for over 12 years. I can say there is technology being used by the military that is rarely seen in the civilian sector. Every once in a while, however, an amazing product is released for civilian use. The Mangrates is one of those products. Although once called the M571G Tactical HOORAH, they have declassified it for public use. I am glad to see this product on the market today but I will warn you now, it will make you wanna go slap yo daddy when those burgers come off the BGE!!! I hope this helps.

If its not memorable, its not worth doing.

• Grasshopper. When you have the kool aid the secret of the mangrate will come to you as if in a dream
    as long as you are wearing your nikes to bed

Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    At my age, I have to rely on a little blue pill to get my mangrate to work at all.
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Mangrate happens.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Not another one !

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    VI, which one was you?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think you just one-upped Eggcelsior's liquid oxygen/grill video...
    What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, although I heard from a highly reputable source that Mangrates were involved. That's all the information I 'm going to give. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey

Eggcelsior   VI is the one in the khakis.

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Mangrate the Magician
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • @ptmurphy, it seems you have received some helpful and not so helpful thoughts. Let me try to assist as well. I have served in the US Army for over 12 years. I can say there is technology being used by the military that is rarely seen in the civilian sector. Every once in a while, however, an amazing product is released for civilian use. The Mangrates is one of those products. Although once called the M571G Tactical HOORAH, they have declassified it for public use. I am glad to see this product on the market today but I will warn you now, it will make you wanna go slap yo daddy when those burgers come off the BGE!!! I hope this helps.
    You are right, CC.  I was there when they first beta tested a Mangrate on a Big Green Egg.  Some minor adjustments needed to be made.

Huh - like MAKE IT ROUND!
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Mangrates are not a joke... Just don't do what I did and hug them while they are still hot!
  • Brownie said:
    Mangrates are not a joke... Just don't do what I did and hug them while they are still hot!

=)) =))

No matter how much you love them. Don't do it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Grasshopper. When you have the kool aid the secret of the mangrate will come to you as if in a dream
    as long as you are wearing your nikes to bed

Correction, you gotta wear mankinies

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    edited January 2013

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure