Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Whiskey barrels for smoke?

I have an opportunity to get some used whiskey barrels from a local distiller.

Anyone ever used such aa thing for their smoke?

Would the fact that they have been used to age whiskey make a difference in the taste?

I know there is a JD wood chip out there, never used it, is there a difference from the plain wood chips they use compared to the ones infused with JD?

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Motley Brew.

Comments

• they work great. Most barrels are oak so that is great by itself. Add whiskey....what could go wrong?

You can taste the whiskey in the smoke. It's nice

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,474

I have used the JD and I can't taste a difference but sure can smell the smoke. That taste is me, not saying others can't taste it.

With JD you must keep the bag sealed well.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,006
    Should work out well. I like the JD ones when I can find them for a good price. Another chip out there that comes from wood barrels is the Tabasco chips. Actually adds heat to your cook. Haven't seen them in ages. Wish I coudl find them locally.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,474
    @Griffin can you taste it in the cook. I get/taste the smoke of the wood (oak i think) but no taste of the JD?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,155
    Mickey said:

I have used the JD and I can't taste a difference but sure can smell the smoke. That taste is me, not saying others can't taste it.

With JD you must keep the bag sealed well.

I agree with Mickey, the smoke smells better than the taste. Years ago, picked some broken barrels up from Schenley Distiller in Valleyfield Qc, great smoke wood, Like Travis said - Oak. Cut the staves into chunks and you will be good for sometime. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Honda. You can make "swish " with them first @-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,263

What is "SWISH"? 

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,006
    @Mickey - maybe a tad. I think I just like the way it smells when it burns. Now the Tabasco chips (from what I remember, and this was years ago) didn't impart a tabaso-ey taste, but they did add heat/spice to whatever it was I cooked.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

We used to get the barrels when we were kids and put about 10% volume of water. Lay them on their side and we would roll them once a week for a few months. Then drink the result. It was hideous

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,263
    We used to get the barrels when we were kids and put about 10% volume of water. Lay them on their side and we would roll them once a week for a few months. Then drink the result. It was hideous

LOL did you get drunk on it? What was the purpose?

I think ill pass either way.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Yeah, I din't know the alcohol level of the result but it was there. They were CC barrels and the stuff didn't taste a lot different than CC really.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• You have a gold mine on your hands...Whisky oak smoke on a beef brisket...many kinds of great.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • Watch trailer park boys if you really want the scoop on Swish.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • esddesdd Posts: 44
    If the barrels are fresh break them down and "season" the wood, as fresh barrels will be saturated with alcohol and burn like gasoline. I use barrels from Jim Beam or Early Times regularly.