Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stir Coals and Chips with Placesetter

Options
I've been tossing in wood chips just before I add the place setter and grate.  Then I get the egg up to temp and add the food.  The issue I have is that I lose most of the smoke by the time the food goes on.  How do you folks get around this issue?

Comments

• Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    Options
    After I get everything up to or near my desired cooking temp, I lift out the grate and plate setter, add wood chunks, replace everything and then put the food on.
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    @swbouton actually, you don't lose "smoke" when you have the wood in there.  If you see dark smoke - that is what you do NOT want.  Uck.  Wait for the nice hot clear "smoke" coming out the top.  That's the good stuff!  Another thing to do - layer some wood down in the lump.  As it burns down, it will hit more chunks/chips.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    You mentioned using wood chips. Try chunks instead. Several fist sized chunks placed when you are loading your lump will ensure you get smoke for a much longer duration. I put 4-6 in, at different levels in the lump.
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options
    Chuck them in the lower door on top of the hot embers that fall through the fire grate.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    Options
    You should not need to stir or add with the setter in. The restricted air flow in an egg means there often is no visible smoke, but what smoke is available is very concentrated. Many folks used to smoker boxes or Weber kettles wonder where all the visible smoke is. The egg works different. Depending on what you are cooking, an indirect at <300 with smoke, try:
    Disperse your chips or chunks throughout the lump, avoiding the area right near the front.
    Light the lump on the top near the front of the egg. 
    Once the lump is burning (I use an electric starter, takes about 8 minutes), drop in the setter , drip pan, grid etc..., dome closed, bottom vent fully open, DFMT on top with daisy wheel pushed to the side. 
    The smoke will be "bad" for at least 10-15 minutes. Your wood chips will not be burning too much, if at all. 
    Once the temp gets close to 300, adjust vents as you like to maintain temp. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!