Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

lower vent

a friend of mine just got his xl and the vent door is very hard to close or open, i have a large and mine slides fine. his also seems flimsy, when i was trying to lower the temp it felt like i was gonna bend the tab, does this sound like a common problem , it was his first cook last night so we didnt have a chance to look at it in the daytime. but were gonna look at it tomorrow, i told him he might have to call the dealer. any info ahead would be great

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,970
    Look at the track it slides on...something in it or pinched maybe.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jscarfojscarfo Posts: 402
    No sure gonna look at it tomorrow .
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,290
    edited January 2013
    When asked about controlling temp there are two "book ends". Some use the lower vent only, with the DFMT off for cooks over 350F. Some use the DFMT only for temp control. (Others use them both)
    The reason many use the DFMT is because the lower vent is often a sticking, rip a whole in your finger frustrating POS, patented device. Guess which camp I'm in. 

I still of course use it on low and slows, but for grilling, the top vent does it all. Guys like Mickey use the lower vent and in fact take the DFMT off. 

I think it is normal that some lower vents stick. Check they are clean and that the slider goes over the screen. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    The other thing I noticed is the dome is low, and I saw a pic on forum of the new xl with a higher dome. Did they sell him a egg that's been at there store for a couple of years?
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,810
    edited January 2013
    If the bottom vent is sticking, all you have to do is take a screwdriver and "adjust" it slightly.  Mine didn't slide well at all when I got it.  Just wedge the bottom slide open a little and evenly and it will be fine.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

Ok thanks
  • I tend to use the bottom vent exclusively unless I'm under 300.  Then I put on the daisy and go from there.

Shangri la where life is beautiful and everybody's happy.

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,570

As for the "squatty" dome, that is an indication that it is an older model XL.  Perhaps you could post up a pic to confirm?  If it were me, I would want the newer model.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Looks short to me, when did they start making the new style?
    image.jpg 1.5M
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,990
    edited January 2013
    i think they changed that dome abbout 4 or 5 years ago, if i wanted a designated pixxa egg that would be my choice but not for regular egging. open the track with a screwdriver, dont make it loose though, you want it snug enough that a tap makes a small adjustment. that looks like the taller dome to me though
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,570
    edited January 2013
    jscarfo said:
    Looks short to me, when did they start making the new style?
    I think that is the newer one.  I don't have an XL...just going from memory of pictures.  The original XL had a dome that was nearly flat at the top.  

Google-fu.  Waaaa-chaaaaa!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Pretty sure that is the newer style, it has dimples like a golf ball. The older ones I have seen have a kinda" stucco look and a very flat looking dome.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
    Ok thanks for all the info