Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New outdoor kitchen being planned

I'm in the final design stage of an outdoor kitchen.  So far, the plan is to make it about 14 linear feet, although not straight.  At one end will be my BGE XL and I will also include a 42" Viking Grill, 15" dual Viking burners, 24" Viking Wok, and a hot/cold sink.  Below, I'll utilize Perlick refrigeration and beverage centers.  I've got a few questions for the gang...

Has anyone ever seen or used the 24" Viking Wok?  It is a 27,500 BTU single burner and looks like an alternative to a turkey fryer.  My main concern is the amount of counter space that it consumes.  Also, I can't seem to find out how low it can go.  Can I simmer on it, or just nuke?

I'd like to fully enclose the BGE.  My countertop will be either granite or bluestone and in the front, over the air vents, I'll have a 17 x 24 louvered door.  Inside the door, I would like to find a way to make room for my CyberQ fan and base unit for long smokes.  Has anyone used the Sunstone Grill vented doors?  According to the manufacturer, they will work fine.

Lastly, does anyone have experience with Perlick appliances?  They look really nice, but I'm wondering if they are worth the price - especially compared to U-Line and other high end refrigerators.

Lastly, has anyone used sealed bluestone on a counter?  Can I spill a glass of red wine, or some beef juice without ruining it?

Thanks for you tips!

--Dave
--Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    To my knowledge, the Viking Wok is a simmer to Volcano gas burner. I use a turkey burner because the cost of a Viking was too much for me, and I had the turkey burner to be able to get 50,000 BTU for boiling corn, lobsters and beer mash. 
    You will be pleased from a cooking perspective - great product. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118
    Dave. My wife & I built an outdoor kitchen over the summer. We poured a cement counter top. Put four coats of sealer & it's practically indestructible. I can get you some pics if you want.
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    The only problem that comes to mind with out seeing the plans,  is that the egg is green and it might take away all the luster of the stainless. (:|
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Now is the time to build in space for (and buy) a second egg. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    One egg is good for me. I still enjoy the convenience of gas, as well, so I'll get the 42" Viking. I will never smoke with it or bother with the rotisery, though. After further research, the wok is vetoed due to the amount of counter space I lose. Plus, the $2,500 price tag! I also decided on granite. Mainly for the ability to roll out pizza dough and the ease of cleanup. Working on the final architectural plans now, HOA approval, then we start. Hopefully, by mid March.
  • BenCour
    BenCour Posts: 62

If it can help, I went to the same process last year and we ended up buying the FireMagic Power Burner. Its about half price compare to the Vicking wok and it pulls out 60 000 btus.

I have attached some images to give you ideas.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    BenCour, I like that. It looks to be about the same dimensions as my town house. Time to show the boss.
  • I've bookmarked this thread. Will be following Dave. I'm hesitating to offer thoughts because it looks like you have a final design for the install. Viking is not worth the cost IMHO. Stainless steel is stainless steel and will wear out over little time. You can pull out a turkey fryer when you a big burner is needed which will give you more counter/serving space.

If its not memorable, its not worth doing.

• @bencour. "If it can help, I went to the same process last year and we ended up buying the FireMagic Power Burner. Its about half price compare to the Vicking wok and it pulls out 60 000 btus."

I agree. I bought the same fire magic burners as you for the same reason.

If its not memorable, its not worth doing.

• DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Primary reason for the Viking is price.  I've got a good friend who is very connected in the appliance world.  Otherwise, I agree with you.  For what I'm going to use it for, my old Weber would be just fine.  Only issue is that it can't be mounted in a counter.

The wok just seemed cool, but I'm sure it would only be used rarely.  I will leave a gas hookup near the counter for my patio heater, but can certainly grab that for a burner.  I'll look at the FireMagic burners.  

Thanks!
  • Perlick is an outstanding product, and their price reflects that.  I have a perlick, 3 keg cooler, that is over 30 years old, and zero maintenance has been performed it, and it keeps beer ice cold.  I got it from a bar manager friend of mine when they were updating their appliances, that was about 12 years ago, and it has sat on my patio where I use it as a refrigerator, and not a kegerator.  When I researched it to inquire about pm, I was told by a refrigeration repair company, that Perlick's are the cadillac of kegerators etc.  That being said, I believe they are used primarily for commercial use, so depending on what you use it for, would be entirely up to you.  The kegerator I have in my house, is a fairly inexpensive costco brand as I only use it once or twice a year, so couldnt justify the expense.  The perlick I received free, so haven't been overly concerned with preventive maintenance.  
    2 Large BGE, 1 Small.