Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rub Question

So I have a number of Dizzy Pig rubs and I have the Bad Byron rub. Here is the issue my older daugher (almost 5) does not like any kind of spiceyness to her food. I am talking she doesn't even like pepper hardly. Do you know of any rubs that contain no spiceyness at all? She didn't even like Raging River on chicken.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Try seasoned salts.  Like Lawry's.  They have some herbs, but no heat.
    or just use salt.
    Plain Goya Adobo Seasoning. Blue Top.

Or make one? Name it after her, put her picture on it, and then sell it. You'll corner the pre-Bieber market in no time.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Not sure this helps, but just don't use rub on whatever she likes. 
    Four year old grandson, six year old granddaughter do not like spicy foods. They both like white meat. (Something wrong with kids that don't like a drum stick) 
    When they are here for dinner I often spatch a chicken and do not put anything on one breast. Between the two of them, and they eat like birds, it is gone. Maybe your daughter is a super taster (more taste buds then the average person), spicy foods can be extremely uncomfortable for them. 

SWMBO also likes very little seasoning (she is a  super taster), claims it makes the leftovers easier to use. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • @skiddymarker, I like your idea. I am going to do another spatch chicken this weekend and didn't even think of leaving a portion of the chicken unrubbed. Great idea!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    she probably saw the pepper, try white pepper
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Basic rub is pretty much just brown sugar and salt. Usually some paprika and black pepper.  Make your own, and see if your daughter is OK w. just sugar and salt. Otherwise, for a treat, maybe just pour a little browned butter over her unrubbed portion.

I was quite picky as a kid. Could not tolerate the taste or pungency of onion. Garlic, just barely.  Could not understand why people ruined hot dogs w. mustard, when they had ketchup on hand. Which is hard to understand, because I thought the tomatoes in spaghetti tasted awful. I wonder what Chef Boy-ar-dee used for sauce, cause that was my idea of good eating.

My mother would grind stuff up so I could not see it. She didn't understand that I could taste it.

However, I don't recall ever having a problem w. things that had seeds for flavor, like caraway, celery, or fennel. Maybe offer your daughter just 1 seed to chew, and see how she reacts.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Trader Joes has some packs of various seasoned salts. Made in South Africa so I a fan. I do drumsticks for their lunch and just do them plain with some woodchunks and they devour those. P
    Lynnwood WA