Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Pepper Ale Beef

R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,609
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
While at the grocery store the other day, a 3.3 lb 7 bone chuck roast caught my eye.

I'd seen posts using this Pepper Stout Beef recipe: http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html?m=1 and thought I'd give it a try.
I didn't have any Guinness and my wife was heading to the store so I asked her to see if she could find a single bottle of stout (I'm not a big stout drinker) and if not pick up some Newcastle Brown Ale (which I do like). She came home with a single Newcastle as the Guinness was "huge".

So instead of Pepper Stout Beef, I made Pepper Ale Beef (sounds weird).

Here's some pics of the process (other than the beer I didn't deviate much from the recipe - except I only used 1 jalapeno pepper as we're wimps with hot peppers).

Chucky was generously seasoned with S&P and smoked over oak on the Large Egg:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The green peppers, red onions, garlic, and jalapeno pepper soaking in a pan waiting for the beef:

Chucky jumped in and was covered with foil:

A little over a couple hours later the chucky was pulled and returned to the Egg uncovered:

After another hour or so, the liquids had reduced some and it was looking ready:

We had some extra Kings Hawaiian Sandwich Rolls so they got used (recipe calls for hard bread but these needed to be eaten - quickly I must say before they got too soaked):

I topped my second sammy with some cheese:

A day later we had leftovers on a ciabatta bread and it held up better.

Later we needed a change from sandwiches so I topped a pizza with the last of the leftovers:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
I definitely will be making the beef again (but I'll try it with stout & add a second jalapeño) and the pizza will be repeated some time as well.
Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
Bay Area, CA

Comments