Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My first bone-in Rib Eye on the BGE

Thought I'd share a pic of the first steak I've cooked on the BGE.

When considering the Egg I thought it was more of a smoker and almost didn't buy it if it was going to be sub=par as a grill. Oh man... What a great decision. This is the best steak I have ever grilled.

Brought the temperature up to probably 1000F, seared it for 90 seconds a side. Let it rest for 20 minutes, brought the egg down to 400F and then hit it for 4 mins a side. Let it rest for another 10 minutes and turn the juices into a lovely au jus.
·

Comments

• td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 770
    That steak may qualify for a roast! Nice job thanks for sharing.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,150
    Thanks dude. I just broke my nose trying to eat my phone screen.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,831
    Cowboy cuts, the best - at least when I was younger and had a metabolism. 

nice cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Ha :) Thanks for the kind words. I think I'll post a pic if my first ribs now.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,269
    You did good. Wow
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • r270bar270ba Posts: 763

=))
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    What he said, that looks ScRuMpTiOuS. What did you season it with?
    ·
  • Steveb999Steveb999 Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    Plano_JJ said:
    What he said, that looks ScRuMpTiOuS. What did you season it with?
    I seasoned it with kosher salt (quite a bit) and put it in the fridge for an hour. This drew a lot of moisture out then I seasoned it again with fresh ground pepper on the most coarse setting on my grinder and even more salt then straight to the egg. The key to a decent crust is to get the moisture out its that first round of salt. It doesn't taste at all salty or over-seasoned with that 2nd round. I also use a liberal amount of olive oil to coat the steak before grilling.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776

Only the first of many to come!

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Why do you want to draw the moisture out?
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,150
    Why do you want to draw the moisture out?
    It intensifies the beef flavor. There is still enough there to keep everything tender. Plus, the marbling(fat) liquefies and adds to the moistness(and flavor).

It's kind of like dry aging. Instead of time, you do it chemically.
    ·
  • JscottJscott Posts: 174
    fantastic, haven't had mine up that high yet, but guess I'll have to give it a try. smells great from here!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,227
    Nice...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·