Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My favorite BGE healthy meal... Pics

Polynesian seared beef and papaya.

This doesn't even sound good…

Papaya, beef, garlic, and vegetables?

The combination to me doesn't seem to work. A waiter recommended this to me and I passed... then i called him back to the table because he was so adamant about the dish. I've been trying to re-create it for the past four years. It's great but not as good as mamas fish house in Maui.

Will post the recipe (how I make it) in the thread at a later time. Still eating... :-)

If its not memorable, its not worth doing.

Comments

• Wow. My wife and I ate at Mama's on our honeymoon 3 years ago and STILL talk about the stuffed papaya appetizer. I'm looking forward to seeing the recipe you post. The pics look darn close, well done!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Loved Mama's and wish I had tried those.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks inspiring!  Looking forward to the recipe. 

Nice looking man-cave from what I can see in the last pic! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• That looks inspiring!  Looking forward to the recipe. 

Depending on how much you want to envy/admire/hate Caveman, check out his earliest thread about his outdoor kitchen/pool/Shangri-La.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Taking a family trip to Maui this summer.. I'll have to add this Mama's place to the list
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Reeyahps said:

Depending on how much you want to envy/admire/hate Caveman, check out his earliest thread about his outdoor kitchen/pool/Shangri-La.
    Please do. His last name is Jones.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2013
    Reeyahps said:

Wow...and I thought the meat stuffed papaya was inspirational!  I am feeling quite overwhelmed with envy/hate/admiration!  Cave-man has the nicest man-cave I have ever seen.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• That looks awesome! Don't forget to post the recipe. I gotta try it. Thanks!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Looks very good. I don't know if you are aware that papaya is one of the best meat tenderisers in the world. It has an enzyme called papain which is used in Adolph's meat tenderiser. To make it you mash papaya with some salt and get it to 140* and lower than 160*. The enzyme is active in that range, not above or below. I'm not sure about the top limit but the papain becomes inactive at some temperature.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You R so analytical...feel the music, LS!  ;)

Every once in a while something I know pops into ma brain

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    That looks too good to be "healthy". :)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Seared Beef in Papaya Recipe

Ingredients:
    Papaya - split in half and deseeded 
    healthy amount of fresh chopped garlic
    2 bell peppers - (I like one green and one yellow)
    1 large red onion
    chopped cilantro
    6 to 8 limes
    14oz filet mignon$$$ ( I usually substitute with 1lb of skirt steak because we eat this so much)
    sea salt and pepper 
    cherry tomatoes
    canola oil

Directions

Prep/chop all ingredients for stir-fry 

Marinade 
    This is the tricky part - i have to say it still needs some tweaking. The enzymes  of papaya quickly breaks down the meat. I would recommend no more than 10 minutes

In a ziplock bag, add the meat, oil, 4 ounces of papaya puree, juice of 4 limes, and salt pepper garlic and cilantro to taste.

Heat your wok to about 500 degrees

toss veggies with oil, salt, and pepper, oil then cook in wok for 3 minutes - just before tender
    add meat and tomatoes - I like medium so 2 minutes at the most for me. 

empty wok contents into a bowl

coat grate and papaya rim flesh with oil.

sear fruit - turn 45 degrees for classic marks (hard to do without a cast iron grate due to fruit water content)

turn papaya over and fill both halves/bowls with meat filling - cut the vents and cook for 8 to 10 min.

pull off the egg and mix the contents in each bowl - garnish with lime/juice and cilantro 

message me if you have improvements for the recipe - i still believe the marinated could be better

If its not memorable, its not worth doing.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Bookmarked. Thanks Cave.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Damn, that looks good.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    edited January 2013

I think a tsp of fish sauce added to the marinade would be beneficial.

Sounds good! - other than we can't get good papayas here in Utah.