Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I or Should I fix this?

Im new egg owner and only 3 cooks in. I dripped bbq sauce on gasket and the next day when i went to cook my lid was stuck a bit. I lifted it up and top and bottom of the gasket separated from itself. Still attached to egg but there is a cross-section flap loose now. Still seems to seal just irritating since its new. Any suggestions?

Comments

• newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    I say let it ride for now. My gasket has been fried for months and I have had no problems cooking with it. Just set yourself a calendar reminder for the one-year anniversary of your purchase date so you can get it replaced under warranty.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    I have been running no gasket for about 5 months and can still hold a constant temp. I have a cookoff in feb and am going to replace it before then just cause i will be wanting to cook at a lower temp than normal and not sure if it will hold at 250 or 275 with no gasket.
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118
    It will hold at 250 with no gasket.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

I could hold temp fine before I replaced mine this past weekend with a Nomex. My problem was lump control. I would burn whatever I put in the egg every cook. Then again, I had dome alignment issues on top of no gasket.

If egg is performing, then roll with it. Keep an eye on the bands and tighten bolts every now and then. If your dome get out of alignment, then might as well throw on a new gasket when you realign the dome. My $.02

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    get some rubber adhesive and glue it back down, thats all they used to stick it to the egg anyways
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it