Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging in the rain

It's raining in Knoxville and it looks like it may keep going for the next 40 days and 40 nights. I am looking for a solution to be able to cook on the Egg in the rain. How do those of you without covered areas or EggSheds cook when it's raining?
LBGE Knoxville, TN

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I stand in the rain and sing a famous little Gene Kelly ditty. I'll think: "He'll, I'm not made of paper".

Then, after I'm wet and cold, I switch to CCR's "Who'll Stop the Rain?".
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I stand in the rain and sing a famous little Gene Kelly ditty. I'll think: "He'll, I'm not made of paper". Then, after I'm wet and cold, I switch to CCR's "Who'll Stop the Rain?".

You are a strange man
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2013
    Sorry, Duckhook, I accidentally hit off topic on my iPad. I have a covered area I cook under. However, I have done the umbrella zip tied to a golf cart while eggin at my friends.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Can you pull it up to the garage?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I saw a solution on here and someone sent me a picture also. Can't find it at the moment, but it was a chimney cap. Basically a round piece of stainless steel with a cap 6-8 inches above the top of the daisy wheel. Let air circulate while keeping the rain out.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Just like this
    Lynnwood WA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    @Brianwdm posted the stainless rain cap. Just FYI. Found it in the "Egging in the RAIN" thread
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Here is the linknfornthe rain cap. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/688001/rain-hat
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Thanks for the suggestions. The golf umbrella and ladder may be an idea worth trying. Seems like it could be hard to get the charcoal in without it getting wet. I am wanting to do a couple butts and try out my new PartyQ but the rain just keeps coming. I thought about trying one of these tailgating pop up tents over my egg table. Thoughts? Would I burn a hole in the top?
    LBGE Knoxville, TN
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    My tarp hasn't melted you should be good, although I wouldn't let the egg go into afterburner mode under it...
    Lynnwood WA
  • Here in Birmingham, I keep expecting to see a line of animals lined up 2 by 2 heading for a huge wooden boat. So, I threw my EZ up pop up tent over the egg. I've done 2 low and slows under it and had no signs of trouble. Also did a 900 degree sear, but for that one I moved the tent slightly so as to avoid that superheated air burning it up. It still covered most of the table and the cook. Again, no problems here. And, now the tent has a distinct Q smell to it!

PS...that's not to say someone else may have less fortunate results. Haha!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I stand in the rain and sing a famous little Gene Kelly ditty. I'll think: "He'll, I'm not made of paper". Then, after I'm wet and cold, I switch to CCR's "Who'll Stop the Rain?".
    I was thinking a Police song...  :P

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• crabboy
    crabboy Posts: 19
    Made this one rainy night from scraps in the garage.  It's simple and has held up for a couple years now.  It also leaves the DW fully functional and easy to manipulate.
  • That's a nice one
  • I just use a piece of trim coil I had when I finished the soffitt and facia on my house. Not real pretty but works great and the daisy wheel is still fully functional under it.

• The cap in Tulocay's post is available at Lowes.  In plumbing department for under $10.  Fits over daisey.

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I bought these rain caps and adapters at the local hardware store.  I's not raining in the photo, but trust me it poured later that night and all was well.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I use a metal coffee can, fits perfect, even over the DFMT. I cut holes in the sides to allow smoke out but won't let rain in (unless raining sideways). Me..  I use a rain jacket.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    I have a cheap beach umbrella that I bungee to the table mates.  Gives me a dry place to stand and keeps the DFMT dry.  I only cook low and slow in the rain.  My desire to grill wanes in the rain.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    BOWHUNR said:

I bought these rain caps and adapters at the local hardware store.  I's not raining in the photo, but trust me it poured later that night and all was well.

Mike

Looks like the robot from Lost in Space...danger Will Robinson.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    LOL...It does!!  Sad thing is I'm old enough to know what you're talking about.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Sad thing is, I'm nerd enough to know what your talking about.

The dude that made Robby from Forbidden Planet also designed the B-9

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I used to just use an old patio umbrella at the old house.

Also hooked a sting of lights onto it for night time activities as the back yard had little light.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited January 2013
    ... I thought about trying one of these tailgating pop up tents over my egg table. Thoughts? Would I burn a hole in the top?
    I used a 10 x 10 EZ-Up pop up tent over my grilling area in the warm months for 6 years. When it wore out last fall I replaced it with a new model. The new version didn't last the summer. The had value engineered it (cheapened it ) and the roof started collecting water in the heavy rain. Once that started happening the material started stretching and it collected more water and stretched more each time it rained. I had to keep draining the the roof by pushing it up. I was afraid one day the weight of the rain would cause it to collapse and take out my new BGE. If it rained and I wasn't hometown drain it.... I don't want to think about that one.

So yes they will work, but how well and for how long depends on how much rain you get. Once the roof material starts sagging the tent is going to fail at some point.

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    Cooked last night in freezing rain, no cover. Didn't have any trouble with the temp and food came out awesome. I say just power through it, rain is no match for the mighty BGE.
  • crabboy
    crabboy Posts: 19
    crabboy said:
    Made this one rainy night from scraps in the garage.  It's simple and has held up for a couple years now.  It also leaves the DW fully functional and easy to manipulate.
    Doh...  Reading through the other posts I realized I forgot my pic.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's raining in Knoxville and it looks like it may keep going for the next 40 days and 40 nights. I am looking for a solution to be able to cook on the Egg in the rain. How do those of you without covered areas or EggSheds cook when it's raining?
    40 days and 40 nights?.... Easy.  Build one of these, stock it, then egg on the second floor under the cover, keep the meat on deck below.  I'm a sick puppy.

BOWHUNR said:

LOL...It does!!  Sad thing is I'm old enough to know what you're talking about.

Mike

If the BGE had arms at least it could hand you stuff...and hug back.