Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First contest coming up Feb 15-16 (please help)

Options
Ok well just put together a team for my first bbq contest. It will be feb 15-16 and need a little help. Any good pointer for judging? Wondering how to make sure the ribs stay warm. What to put in the box as garmet and do must judges like sweet or heat. Any other help would be greatly aprecciated going to start practicing my cooks this weekend.

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Hey @chad408, I've been a KCBS CBJ for a year now and have judged a few contests. The best advice I can give for garnish is keep it simple. We're taught to judge the appearance of the meat not the garnish. One preference of mine I think I can share is to not have very small chopped garnish in the box. It tends to stick to your entry and some people won't remove it if that happens, which means they'll be tasting the garnish along with your entry. As for taste I like some spice in my BBQ, but I know many judges that do not. I guess I'd say prepare something YOU think is delicious and don't try to chase the judges individual tastes too much, you never know who will judge your entry. Good luck, have a great time and let us know how it goes.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    Options

Thanks @black_badger. There has to be more help out there all you eggers someone has to done a few cookoffs.