Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Lobster Tails on the BGE

bwalekbwalek Posts: 2
edited February 2012 in Seafood

Any suggestions for 2 - 1 lb tails...... I'm pretty new at the egg and want to make some nice tails on Valentines day !

Direct or Indirect ??? Time and Temp.

Thank you

·

Comments

• IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I have always been a boiled water and lobster tail kind of guy.  Don't know if the egg adds anything here.
    ·
  • I have grilled many hundred lobster tail. None on the egg but enough to know how. 

Cut out the bottom part of the carapace (in a U shape)
    Put Tails Shell down
    Grill indirect till the meat starts to separate from the remaining carapace. 

Thats it. The rest is up to you. I like to season with cilantro and lime.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Grill tails are awesome, i definitely suggest trying them grilled if you have not.

·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I have eaten grilled lobster before, just think boiled is always my favorite.  
    ·
  • Hillbilly-HightechHillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited February 2012
    Here's a suggestion w/ some good tips:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1136069/lobster#Item_1

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
    ·
  • ...and piggybacking off of Travis' suggestion for cutting out the membrane on the belly - I do that as well - I take a pair of kitchen shears or tough scissors & cut up one side, then the other, then across the middle, giving access to the meat.

BTW, never knew there was a name for that area till Travis said it: "carapace" - learn something new every day!! :-)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
    ·
  • What a cool picture, that would keep somebody busy cooking for a while. Check out the "Dwell in the Shell" method. I tried this along with some steaks and WOW it was better than any high end restaurant. Cut the carapace (thanks Travis) and cook @ 400 for 5 minutes and then turn over onto the shell and then pour some garlic butter into the dip of the shell and cook another 5 and then pull and enjoy.
    ·
  • Just to brag a little, that was one days worth of bugging. I was there for a month that year. We had to buy a chest freezer to keep them all in till we drove home. I thi k we drive home with 600 or so. That was after 8 of us ate all we could.
    ·
  • Oh man that would be one humungous feast
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,405
    Damn Travis, that's impressive!!  I can tell by the lobster type you were somewhere South, Mexico?

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • Good eye mike,
    That was in key west. 09
    ·
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101
    edited February 2012
    The carapace on a lobster is it's back if you will, not it's tail.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
    ·
  • I think you're right. In school, I heard it called a cephalothorax. 
    ·
  • Egged lobster,insane!! You will never want it any other way! It is atta this world!

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,205
    I drizzle with evo, s&p
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • TFolsTFols Posts: 194
    Did a week up in RI for vacation this past July, bought my XL with me and egged plenty of lobsters. They kick butt on the egg.
    Bloomfield, NJ
    ·
  • How did you do them @TFols?
    Hunter - LBGE

Oxford, MS
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,209
    BOWHUNR said:

Damn Travis, that's impressive!!  I can tell by the lobster type you were somewhere South, Mexico?

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Travis rocked those lobsters like the b-52s
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,407
    Does this thread really have 9k views with so little comments? That's 3K views more than man grates.
  • StoaterStoater Posts: 292
    I have grilled many hundred lobster tail. None on the egg but enough to know how. 

Put Tails Shell down

Is it just me or is there something on that chaps shorts in the photo, just wondering.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,471
    Can't tell if it's a twig or berry....

·
  • TFolsTFols Posts: 194
    @SouthernSmoke I split them length wise and grilled them direct at 500 for 8-10mins she'll side down.
    Bloomfield, NJ
    ·
  • He found Captain Winkie!!!! *In my best Ace Ventura voice*

@TFols Thanks!
    Hunter - LBGE

Oxford, MS
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,344
    Stoater said:
    I have grilled many hundred lobster tail. None on the egg but enough to know how. 

Put Tails Shell down

Is it just me or is there something on that chaps shorts in the photo, just wondering.
    Think it is a head of some sort.... LMAO...
    :))  I just spit coffee on my monitor at work...
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • oh, so that's how they catch the lobsters.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,209
    oh, so that's how they catch the lobsters.
    Quite literally. Lobsters mate for life, so that thing will be hooked on until it hits the pot.
    ·