Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help improving my grid setup

I'd like my setup to have a grid at the felt line and if possible a raised 2nd tier somewhere above the line for slow cooks. I was looking at the Ceramic Grill Store's Adjustable Rig but since I already own just about every BGE accessory - plate setter, cast iron grid, etc. I was trying to stick with my platesetter and not buy more ceramic plates.

The Woo looks like a good option for a grid at the felt line while cooking direct and I could use my existing platesetter for indirect. Is there a way to add a 2nd level above that for slow cooking? What would you do?

Chester County, PA

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    get a second grid and use bricks, firebricks, foil balls, cans, nuts/bolts/washers to raise it.
  • MattyMc
    MattyMc Posts: 81
    Thanks for the response. I guess what I'm looking for is the Woo Extender but it looks like that is not made anymore? I was looking for a pretty prefab option if possible. Anything else out there or are bricks the best option?
    Chester County, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Bricks for temporary adjustment or nuts/bolts for more permanent placement.
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    I bought the swing rack, and have exactly what you described.  I can go raised direct with firebricks, or use my plate setter for indirect cooking.  Check out ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Eggcelsior
    +1 on the swing rack. Other options are much cheaper. Just more "clunky".
  • MattyMc

Now we're talking! This looks nice! So when using it with a platesetter, I assume the 2nd level has plenty of clearance? Thanks!

Forgot to mention that I own the worthless BGE grid extender ugh.

Chester County, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    I believe so. I have seen it in pics posted before.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Not expensive...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    If you already have a place setter and the bge extender (and don't want an ad) get the woo 3 (I think that's what its called) that you can use with the place setter.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522

Do you have this? Didn't know it was available for the "black sheep" (MBGE) of the egg family. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    PSWoo 2 is what I meant.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior

Do you have this? Didn't know it was available for the "black sheep" (MBGE) of the egg family. 
    No, my red-headed step child gets nothing but coal from our aftermarket friends. I had just seen it posted before and pulled the pick from one of Franco's posts.
  • henapple said:

Not expensive...

Brilliant!
  • I believe so. I have seen it in pics posted before.

Yeah, but will it have enough clearance on the upper grid for...That's right!  You guessed it!  Mangrates!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Some should do a mangrate collaboration!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Last night I spatched a chicken. My typical raised direct solution is just bricks on firering then grate on bricks. Last night, however, I used an inverted spider on the bricks then the grate on top of spider. The chicken was twice as high in the egg and the crust was really crispy. Woo or swing grate might be in my future, but a mini egg is next
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited January 2013
    I use my swing rack with the platesetter all the time. there is plenty of room to still use it. I also use it raised direct with three fire bricks cut in half. 

One note you do need to be mindful when you have it raised up as it will start to tip if you remove what is on the bottom rack and have a bunch of food on the top rack fully swung out. I lost some sweet potatoes when I took some dinosaur ribs off the lower rack. (it only had to happen once and I decided to save the ribs instead of the veggies) 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited January 2013
    yep...another swing rack owner.  Its awesome.  They have a couple "peg" option now to offer different heights.  I have the standard one and haven't found a scenario that didn't work out for my cooking needs.   I have mine set where I can always use the second level whether I have the platesetter in or not.  With the platesetter I have enough room on the upper level to do a decent sized roast or a spatch chicken.  Possibilities are endless and CGW is another great company to work with.

• Does anyone have any experience with the upper decker from CGW? It's much less spendy than the swing rack if it is stable at all $32 compared to >$155.
    LBGE Knoxville, TN
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited January 2013
    Does anyone have any experience with the upper decker from CGW? It's much less spendy than the swing rack if it is stable at all $32 compared to >$155.
    The upper decker looks like the standard grill extender from BGE.  I have one of those as well, and while it works, its just not as elegant as the swing grate - mostly its just a pain to get to the food on the lower level.  I agree you do pay a premium for the swing grate, but for me the investment was well worth it.  As far as stability, it works just fine, but my extender seemed to warp a bit after a couple cooks and I don't have that issue with the cast iron on the swing grate.
  • MattyMc
    Thanks everyone. I'm thinking PS Woo for now and hope they come out with a 2nd level/extender to put on top. Does anyone know when that will be on the market?
    Chester County, PA
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    I like the new PSWOO3 too but just couldn't resist the urge to get the AR R&B with slide guides.
    So many good reviews on the rig that its hard to resist,i'm sure the pswoo is awesome too and hopefully they come out with that extender soon...maybe ill change my mind again then!!! lol

Let us know how you like it!!
    :)>-
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

MattyMcCANMAN1976  I was talking to Tom and the Woo extension is being studied/ worked on. Just not ready but (and this was in a conversation) may be in by Summer.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MattyMc
    Nice! Thanks for the update, Mickey.
    Chester County, PA
  • henapple said:
    Not expensive...
    Looks like a winner to me!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    I have the pswoo3 and really like it. There are plenty of options for an extender if you don't want to wait until summer. You can build one very cheaply using a weber grid and some ss nuts and bolts (plenty of photos on the forum). That's what I was going to do until I found a new grill dome extender on eBay for $18, free shipping.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle