Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

brisket question

i have cooked only 2 briskets.  is it normal for the meat to "stall" at or around 140 degrees?  both time the internal temp sat at 140 for an hour or so.  the cook temp has been between 230 and 250 grate.  am i doing something wrong, or is it normal?
·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,039
    I haven't ever had one stall that low, normally 150-160. It is however normal to stall, as this is the evaporative cooling period
    ·
  • yes- usually a little higher temp but every brisket stalls unless you do things to prevent the stall (mainly wrap in foil). An hour is actually low. I've had them stall for 5-6 or even longer before.Totally normal though

·
  • mtaskermtasker Posts: 31
    ok, thanks.  i will try not to freak out next time.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,039
    mtasker said:
    ok, thanks.  i will try not to freak out next time.
    Still put on the display though. The more you cook, the easier it gets. If you feign freaking out, you will get more alone time with Mr. Egg and Mr. Daniels/Cuervo/Beam/whatever you lubricate with.
    ·
  • mtaskermtasker Posts: 31
    i will never give up!  just need to sit back and sip on some homemade apple pie, and wait.
    ·