Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare rib leftovers...what to do?

So I am going to pick up some spares for next weekend and I started wondering. What do you do with the extra meat still attached to the sternum when you cut them st. Louise style? Chunk it or cook it somehow?

Comments

• I am wondering what people do to.  I have seen making rib tips, pork broth, pork to put in beans.  Guess I need more practice.  I can make good St. Louis Style ribs, but feel like I am wasting the trimmings
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I freeze it and after I have like 3 or 4 saved I chop the meat and through in a pot of chilli. Don't feel like I'm wasting things and I get chilli win win situation.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    We had ribs on Saturday night and kept half a rack and used the meat to make pizza on Sunday.  It makes for nice pizza topping.

Gerhard

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I am wondering what people do to.  I have seen making rib tips, pork broth, pork to put in beans.  Guess I need more practice.  I can make good St. Louis Style ribs, but feel like I am wasting the trimmings
    I do those 3 things. The section w. the big hunk of bone gets saved till I have enough to make stock. The bits of flap meat get cooked along side the spares, but just for a few hours. Those go into beans, re-fried rice, etc. The remaining tips get cooked for another dinner. Usually cook quicker than the St. Louis section, but are equally tasty.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    I throw it on the grill and cook with ribs. It is done much faster and serves as an appetizer for the cook.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Cook's choice!  Trim as much of the fat and membrane as you can and throw it on with the ribs.  It will cook in half the time as the slab.  When the smoke and sizzle have you salivating, eat the trimmings... then you won't rush the ribs.     :)

Many also like rib tips in chili.  (Mine never make it that far.)
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    BBQ spaghetti.  Season the trimmings with some Italian spices and smoke with the ribs.  When done, chop them up and mix with spaghetti sauce.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Wow. All great ideas. Thanks.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    One more suggestion- make ABT's with the rib meat.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.