Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Not bad for $5 manager special

I wanted to try my hand at the "reverse sear," but I didn't want to use nice steaks as my test subjects.  So I picked up some "manager special" pork chops for $5 to give it a go.  I coated the chops with DP Raging River and put them on indirect at around 250* dome with a few chunks of apple.  After about 25 minutes or so, the chops were at 120.  I didn't want to wait for the egg to heat up, so I put the chops on my gasser's infrared burner for about 1 min each side.  The chops were 150 at that point, so I think I went just a little too long.  For $5, they were pretty darn good.  I can't wait to try the reverse sear on some nice steaks or a top quality thick cut chop.  Please excuse my poor photography and plating skills.
·

Comments

• That IR burner is perfect to finish a reverse sear. The flavor is done by that point

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,288
    Nice cook. Will be even better in steaks. I do Trex though.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    Reverse sear fan here.  Get a nice thick steak and do just like the pork chop.

You will enjoy the process and the steak should be great. Assuming that you put a great steak on the egg!!!!
    ·