Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second pizza, breadsticks...lessons learned

Options
My first BGE pizza turned out great even if it wasn't round. I nailed the shape of this one, but it didn't turn out as well. Last time I had some temperature control issues and cooked closer to 625, this time I had the temp dialed in at 550 but managed to burn the crust. Not sure if it was due to thinner crust or because I removed tha parchment paper after about four minutes. Any thoughts or suggestion? After the pizza, I did breadsticks. I burned the first batch, but got the second batch just right. I only cooked about 5 minutes at 550, and flipped them after 3 minutes.
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    It looks very good, I can't imagine that the parchment paper would provide enough insulation to prevent burning the crust.

Gerhard
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    edited January 2013
    Options
    What Gerhardk said, parchment won't make a difference.  
    I've been playing with pizzas for years, so many small variables make such a big difference in the final product (although I've only produced two inedible pies in that time; a bad pizza is always better than a great Big Mac).  I just about had things dialed in, then I got my first Egg a year and a half ago.
    Started over on the learning process, but its so much more fun than, say, earning a bachelor's degree!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Pizza crusts have a life of their own, just like pork butts.  I make a pizza every week and I have to watch that crust like crazy to get it crisp, but not burnt.